Rivet in the fan blade?

04 LJ

🇺🇸 JEEP 🇺🇸
Supporting Member
It’s warm out and I decided it was a good afternoon for some beer and a little wrenching. Was overhauling the cooling system and noticed what looks like a rivet in the corner of one of the fan blades. Is this a counter weight or what?

D8A55C6D-9ED5-40FF-9D78-3E00010ADA58.jpeg

5A922387-EADA-4701-A693-1CC2678C21F9.jpeg

F40A57A7-5401-48D5-AC04-0F94EE1B25C0.jpeg

C08B3239-A63D-45EF-A9ED-5E944179ED87.jpeg

Nope, not a counter weight, that is a balance weight.
That’s essentially what I meant. Just wanted to be sure the p/o hadn’t rigged up some hoopty shit. Thanks. Back to the beer and installing the new clutch and water pump. 🍺

Reactions: KCsTJ
Making good progress. Coolant drained and flushed, fan and shroud removed, clutch changed, pulleys and hoses removed. Time to remove water pump, replace and put it all back together. Thanks @Chris for urging me to go ahead and replace the water pump. New Mopar one has some resistance if you spin the part the pulley mounts to. Old one almost free spins 😲

Also thanks to @Jerry Bransford for recommending the wire brushes. Definitely smoother now!

90F1FEBA-2B87-441A-807A-A5A606D8FDAC.jpeg

60C5C9A9-2D35-4F4E-92D8-2BFC22CA33D2.jpeg

Looks like it's coming along so far! You'll be happy you did all of this in the end :)

Reactions: 04 LJ
Ok the water pump gasket that’s been seated since 2004 is a bitch. Scraping it caught my finger on an unknown metal object. Wiped it on a coolant soaked rag (a 1st aid method approved by my wife of course 🤣) and moved on. That is all 🤬

@Chris sorry for turning this in to a cross post between my question and something that belongs in the “what have you done to your TJ (Err LJ) today” thread

On another note, I flushed the engine multiple times until what came out of the drain petcock was clear but when I removed the old H2O pump there was a plentiful amount of old, orangey/brown coolant in there. A lot fell to the ground but not all. Should I be worried about this anymore so than just soaking up what I can from the block with a rag?

4BD32D5B-6A14-4D88-840B-23A8E2412D0C.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok the water pump gasket that’s been seated since 2004 is a bitch. Scraping it caught my finger on an unknown metal object. Wiped it on a coolant soaked rag (a 1st aid method approved by my wife of course 🤣) and moved on. That is all 🤬

@Chris sorry for turning this in to a cross post between my question and something that belongs in the “what have you done to your TJ (Err LJ) today” thread

On another note, I flushed the engine multiple times until what came out of the drain petcock was clear but when I removed the old H2O pump there was a plentiful amount of old, orangey/brown coolant in there. A lot fell to the ground but not all. Should I be worried about this anymore so than just soaking up what the block with a rag?

View attachment 85112
I wanted to like this but that didn't seem right. If you didn't get blood on it you didn't fix it.

Last time I cut myself is when my Corvette rear leaf spring broke loose splitting my thumb....you could see the blood pooling around the thumb in the glove. But luckily I was on the front side of the rear diff as it sent the bottle jack holding the spring up at a high rate of speed from the ps rear wheel lodging it into the DS rear wheel. I know...stupid of me and If I was on the back side of the diff I would not be here posting.

Last time I cut myself is when my Corvette rear leaf spring broke loose splitting my thumb....you could see the blood pooling around the thumb in the glove. But luckily I was on the front side of the rear diff as it sent the bottle jack holding the spring up at a high rate of speed from the ps rear wheel lodging it into the DS rear wheel. I know...stupid of me and If I was on the back side of the diff I would not be here posting.
"Don't kill 'im. If ya kill 'im, he won't learn nothin!"