Road trip with TJ (ND to FL)

112dB

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hello All,

In a few weeks, I'll be taking delivery of my 'new' 2002 TJ in North Dakota. It is currently in Spokane. I'm buying it from a family member and will be driving it to Florida. The entire trip is 1700 miles. I've driven cross country a few times before, each trip being about 2400 miles, but that was in a car. I may have my sister along who has a lot of experience in long trips in short-wheelbase vehicles. Myself, I'm not a stranger to long days of driving - during the summers when I was in college, I drove a tractor (Farm, not big rig) for 11-16 hours a day, day in and day out. Of course that was over 20 years ago now...

The plan is to go from Fargo to the Chicago area then spend a day with family. Then the next leg would likely be to Tennessee, and the last to home in North East Florida. I expect that's overly optimistic, and I have a week to make the full trip but this isn't going to be one where we stop and check out the scenery along the way.

Anyone have any tips or lessons learned the hard way that they can pass along? The TJ has fresh tires, a full mechanical checkup and will be on a trailer from Spokane to ND.

One question I have is about toll roads in the midwest. Google tells me my route has tolls, but the plan is to stick to the interstates. I do have an EZpass, it's been a few years since I've had to use it, but the account should still be active.

I'll update this thread with progress along the way.

If you don’t know the history on the fluids or know they haven’t been changed in a while, consider replacing or flushing them as applicable.
This includes:
  • Oil
  • Coolant
  • Power steering fluid
  • Trans fluid
  • Brake fluid
  • Transfer case fluid
  • Differential oil
I would say that the oil and coolant are probably the more important ones on that list. Cooling system failures tend to be a common way to break down on long highway trips. On longer trips I usually carry a jug of coolant with me.

Brake fluid should be flushed if it hasn’t been in years, as a caliper could seize and make it difficult to drive. Transmission/transfer case/differential fluid probably are fine for a while unless they are contaminated with water.

Reactions: Hog
I carry a spare serpentine belt with me on long trips along with the tools to change it out. And I haven't had to do it yet.

Reactions: reddvltj
I carry a spare serpentine belt with me on long trips along with the tools to change it out. And I haven't had to do it yet.

When I change a belt out, I save the old one to carry on long trips as a spare. But then, I tend to not let one get in rough shape before I change it out. If I should happen to have to put the old one back on, I'll replace it again at my first chance to do so.

I've yet to make a long road trip in my LJ, but I have done several in CJ5s years ago. My main advice is to not get in a hurry, just take your time and enjoy the trip. And don't carry things you can't lock up in the Jeep or take with you when parked.

Take a put stop every 2 - 4 hours. A good 15 minutes to stretch out your legs and shoulders. I always get shoulder cramps when driving long stretches. And bring some coffee. Tire drone tends to put me in sleepy mode.and have at least a quart of every fluid you need. And a way to get it in. I have stopped and helped folks that had the right fluid but no funnel or hose or wrench to open the fill port.

I have taken several trips to Memphis and back for work in my TJ, once I went there and back in one day (about 800 miles round trip.) In addition to fluid changes mentioned above, my best mods for long road trips have been the Rancho 5000x shocks and a good stereo head unit with polk speakers all around. Also, depending on tire size, 26psi all the way around works well for me.

Those are great tips. Thank you. The jeep should have had all the fluids checked, but I'll pack extra just in case. I'll be adding a new head unit with iPhone support, which will help with the boredom.

I have taken several trips to Memphis and back for work in my TJ, once I went there and back in one day (about 800 miles round trip.) In addition to fluid changes mentioned above, my best mods for long road trips have been the Rancho 5000x shocks and a good stereo head unit with polk speakers all around. Also, depending on tire size, 26psi all the way around works well for me.
Everything here, Polk speakers and ranchos made it a great drive down to the keys earlier this year. Only 7 hours each way but still. The right psi for your tire makes the ride much better too. Don't be afraid to just cruise and get passed by everyone.

When I moved from NJ to California, I drove my CJ7 Renegade cross country towing a small U-Haul trailer. I was able to do about 600 miles a day. I80 over the Sherman Summit at 8,640 feet was slow up and a little scary on the way down trying not to smoke my brakes. Worst experience was being stuck behind a pig truck in Iowa. I will never forget that smell. I would suggest doing the maintenance listed by others here and make sure you take time to chill along the way.

It has been stated before here but remember to check and run the proper tire inflation. That will add a lot of comfort. I really enjoyed my first road trip with my Jeep!

Bring a cooler for cool drinks, phone charger, with a map App.
A Citizen Band radio, its enjoyable to listen to and pass the time if you have time to mount an antenna.
Check your spare tire and jack.

And have some fun along the way. I just completed a round trip from South Carolina to Colorado and never stayed in a hotel. I was able to stay with family and friends the entire trip.

How many miles are on it? I did a 2000 mile round trip to Moab. Half way there the upper tank of the radiator cracked and started leaking coolant. Bring JB Weld, a finger nail file, a pocket knife, and some alcohol towelettes to temporary repair. Bring plenty of drinking water too. Duct tape is also your friend for emergency repairs.

If you're going through Tennessee, you need to know that they recently started enforcing a law that you're not allowed to even have your cell phone in your hand while driving. If caught, it's a hefty fine and points on your driver's license. If you're getting a new head unit anyway, make sure it has Bluetooth where you can send and receive calls without touching your phone.

Also, just as a general "fix it" tip, some steel wire and pliers. You never know when that will come in handy. I just had tie up my stepson's muffler on the side of the road for him this morning after he'd hydroplaned through a ditch on his way to work.

Hurricane Dorian pushed the plans back about 24 hours. I'll be taking a tire gauge - the inflation tips are great- thank you. And I'll pick up some fluids once I get there. No sense in dragging that stuff through TSA. My co-pilot has bailed but otherwise everything seems to be on track. I'm not taking a laptop with me, but I'll try to update this thread as I go along. I'll probably update my instagram as well: @oscardajeep.

Last edited:
Toll Roads-its 50 bucks if you come by my house , unless your TJ has some parts I need.

• Haha
Day 1 is done. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury of stopping everywhere I want to. I’d probably still be in MN if I did. I did stop often for gas and stretching.

Miles: 621
Fuel: 27.612 gallons (~22.5 mpg can that possibly be right?!)
Total time: 10h 50 min - (average About 57 miles/h, including breaks)
Cars passed: 5
Cups of coffee: 3

Lots of driving over the years, driving over the road, vacations, and driving haul trucks at a mine for 12 hours a day for 6 years. Good music is always great but I have found some form of comedy or commentary works much better to keep the mundane from getting to you and keeps you more alert. Songs can have a soothing effect where commentary keeps your interest peaked and comedy keeps you laughing.