Rocker Guard Installation Problem

Noah T

I had purchesed a set of barricade rocker guards and I have been trying to install them but the the body bolts will not go far enough apart. I have all ready tried a bigger jack and even putting that jack higher up. But there just isn't enough room. Does anyone know how to get them further apart?

I had purchased a set of barricade rocker guards and I have been trying to install them but the the body bolts will not go far enough apart. I have already tried a bigger jack and even putting that jack higher up. But there just isn't enough room. Does anyone know how to get them further apart?
Can you post a photo of the problem?

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
Alright so here are the pictures. What I need to do is create about 1/4 inch above the body bolts. I can get it almost high enough so I was curious if there is an easy way for more space. The body is also pretty rusted and I don't want to put a hole in it but I need to get a quarter inch off the frame.

IMG_20210103_193918.jpg

IMG_20210103_193909.jpg

IMG_20210103_193901.jpg

If you're trying to lift one bolt, one mount, or one area at a time I don't think it can be done easily. It may not even be possible.

If you're trying to lift one whole side of the body there are two more body mount bolts further back on each side that may need to be loose. One is outboard of the frame by the rear bumper and IIRC, the other is inboard in front of the gas tank. Whether or not those other two bolts need loosened or not, lifting the body shouldn't take much effort with a decent floor jack and a piece of 2x4 or 2x6 to help spread the pressure where the jack is lifting. The bigger the area that wood pushes on the less likely you will get a dent there.

And since it looks like there’s a bit of rust on the bolts, soak them with a rust penetrating oil everywhere you can get to before trying to loosen them.

I had purchesed a set of barricade rocker guards and I have been trying to install them but the the body bolts will not go far enough apart. I have all ready tried a bigger jack and even putting that jack higher up. But there just isn't enough room. Does anyone know how to get them further apart?

I know what the instructions say, but you are going to need to loosen the other body bolt and the one at the rear corner to get that space.

But if it were me I’d send them back and get a tub mounted rock slider that avoids the body mounts

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
X2. The fundamental problem is that the sliders use the body mounts as an attachment.

The fact that you can't get them installed without loosening all six mounts per side should say a lot about what would happen later once the sliders are installed with uneven loading of the two body mounts they are supposed to fit on top of.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
When I put mine in, the instructions said to cut off about 3/16” of the top of the rubber body bumpers. Worked great. Did it with a side grinder and a metal wheel. Was messy ,but worked

Reactions: LONGJP2
When I put mine in, the instructions said to cut off about 3/16” of the top of the rubber body bumpers. Worked great. Did it with a side grinder and a metal wheel. Was messy ,but worked
Did you fill in the space between the slider and the body?

I did mine with a hacksaw....no mess at all. I was unsure about the body mount sliders based on what I read here previously, but after looking at the instructions online, didn't see what the issue was...for the brand I bought anyway. The mounting is all metal on metal above the rubber cushions and worked out flawlessly.

As to the original post, you need to at least loosen all the body mounts on the one side to make room to work.