Rocker panel diamond plates?

0ver7and

Have purchased my first TJ last September and failed to do anti rust before winter really hit, I have a few rust spots that are starting to appear on the rocker panels. No holes yet, just rusted metal + bubbled up paint.

Now the plan:

• Sand / grind all the rust down
  • Paint the treated areas with POR15
  • Apply a layer of Bondo on top
  • Spray a coat of bedliner (or rock guard?) on top of the bondo
  • Paint diamond plates
  • Install the diamond plates.
I'm pretty new to body work and detailing in general, please let me know if you'd do something differently (suggestions, etc).

My bigger confusion is to how to install the said diamond plates on the rocker panels? I understand it's mostly done with rivets - however I live in Canada (Quebec) so very harsh environment and lots of salt during winters. I would prefer avoiding making holes in the body for them not to start rusting next winter. Is there a way to simply use automotive adhesive to stick them on? If not, how would you go about securing the holes you've drilled in the body for them not to rust?

All and any help is appreciated!!

Thanks in advance :)

The diamond plate like the Rubicons have, which I have on mine, did require drilling holes in the body and adding nutserts. The also mount to existing locations underneath. About the only thing that wouldn't require some holes, is maybe some cheesy plastic diamond plate "looking" stuff, but actual diamond plate is too heavy for double sided tape.

The diamond plate like the Rubicons have, which I have on mine, did require drilling holes in the body and adding nutserts. The also mount to existing locations underneath. About the only thing that wouldn't require some holes, is maybe some cheesy plastic diamond plate "looking" stuff, but actual diamond plate is too heavy for double sided tape.

Thanks for the reply,

Do you still put a line of either automotive adhesive or silicone on top of the diamond plate for water and salt not to get in but be able to get out?

I guess you guys don't have the same problems in AZ!

Any holes that are drilled in the body or frame should be finished with some sort of paint or coating to prevent rust. For body holes that won’t see much salt water, I just use mopar touch-up paint. It comes in a little pen with a brush and a ball point. For frame/bumper paint I use a high quality black spray paint. Be sure to use a primer and a main coat. The more coats of paint, the better the protection.

After all painting is complete I spray every crevice down with WD-40 or a similar oil based product to help displace water and slow rust on any areas the paint could chip. Fluid film would probably be even better.

Thanks for the reply,

Do you still put a line of either automotive adhesive or silicone on top of the diamond plate for water and salt not to get in but be able to get out?

When I did my rails I put a layer of plasti dip on the body and then a bead of silicon around the seam where the rocket meets the body. The idea is that nothing will get in between the rails and paint where it's sealed.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Ive avoided diamond plate or anything metal that lays up against the body because I too live in the salt /rust belt. Crud will find its way in between the two sandwiched pieces. It’s often downhill there forward. The only way I believe you can avoid the accumulation of crud is to use a sealer or ‘gasket’ of some type to sandwich between the two pieces of metal.

Another option: Two years ago, I applied grip tape to cover the factory holes on the rocker portion of my TJ. I ran it along the entire rocker, below my doors. Just this week, I started removing the tape, and what a mess! Its all adhesive and dirt. Knew this would happen but Im just not looking forward to cleaning off the adhesive. Decided I’ll just plug the holes w rubber and skip the guards.

There’s definitely a gasket you can find online that lays in between the guards and tub. That would be my MO, if I were in your spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 0ver7and
Thanks for the reply,

The factory Rubicon plate has a rubber gasket that goes between it and the body to keep water and crud out.

I ordered my rock sliders over a month ago, but have not installed yet the sliders I have require 2 body/frame mount positions and 6 through the body bolts. I have not settled upon a mounting method to date. What I believe I will be using is between body and slider I will apply a body and seam and sealer with gusto. PVC might work but any cavities will collect water; gaskets I think too much flexing.

I would skip any bonds if the plan is to put on a layer of bed liner or similar. Just let the bed liner cover the area and have one less problem. Hit a good rock or pot hole and the blonde can crack or pop loose. Then a void for water and rust could happen from behind and you'll never see it comming.