Rockford Fosgate PS-8 Install

MexiJeeper

TJ Enthusiast
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3WKUX8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So I purchased one of these subs with the intention of mounting it under the driver's seat. It doesn't fit.

The other obvious places won't work because I carry passengers and the rear seat is always in the TJ.

I'm stuck for options short of mounting it to my hard top.

Can anyone present an option I'm missing short of chucking the whole idea? Thanks peeps.

Not sure if your sub compares in size to this one:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html
I installed it inside my center console. Another thing is, I dont know if the ‘non-sub’ center console is any different internally or size-wise to the one that comes with a sub from the factory. The Crutchfield sub fit inside my center console. I simply had to remove the ‘guts’ and chassis of the stock sub to insert the Sound Ordnance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y3WKUX8/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So I purchased one of these subs with the intention of mounting it under the driver's seat. It doesn't fit.

The other obvious places won't work because I carry passengers and the rear seat is always in the TJ.

I'm stuck for options short of mounting it to my hard top.

Can anyone present an option I'm missing short of chucking the whole idea? Thanks peeps.

As @Rob5589 mentioned, I too use my rear seat for passengers, so I mounted it on the underside of the rear seat. Took a piece of ply a litttle larger than the dimensions of the PS-8, grooved out about 3/16” with my table saw to fit the wire supports underneath the seat and slid the ply under the wires into position. Then screwed the PS-8 to the ply. Been this way for over a year with no issues. Plus, you can detach and unplug it pretty easily if you remove the back seat for some reason. A bonus is it doesn’t infringe in any of the precious space in our TJ’s. I’ll attach pics in a bit. Sounds awesome
FBCC2270-E1AA-4E48-841D-127409ADAE90.jpeg

AC6D8571-F4CF-4846-BCC9-3D1700358B74.jpeg

21A1D411-4B07-434D-97D9-56A190C86DCD.jpeg

5091F304-FAE7-4DBE-8AFC-7374B15D96C3.jpeg

Last edited:
As @Rob5589 mentioned, I too use my rear seat for passengers, so I mounted it on the underside of the rear seat. Took a piece of ply a litttle larger than the dimensions of the PS-8, grooved out about 3/16” with my table saw to fit the wire supports underneath the seat and slid the ply under the wires into position. Then screwed the PS-8 to the ply. Been this way for over a year with no issues. Plus, you can detach and unplug it pretty easily if you remove the back seat for some reason. A bonus is it doesn’t infringe in any of the precious space in our TJ’s. I’ll attach pics in a bit. Sounds awesome
View attachment 33785
View attachment 33786
View attachment 33787
View attachment 33784

Rob thanks very much. did you zip the felt cover back in place? Do you have descent sound with the sub speaker so close to the floor when the seat is upright.

I didn’t because my zipper sucks. I just tucked it underneath. I think it will zip though

I was going to chime in on the back swing door... looks like you have it worked out!

Nice!!

2005 RHD TJ Sport
2010 BMW 528xi

I thought about the rear door as well Shane but didn't like the idea of the complications involved with the wiring. Under the rear seat seems like the best solution. Since I rarely carry passengers in the back the seat will be folded up 99% of the time thusly aiming the sub into the cargo area. That should provide good sound. We shall see. I hope I can figure out the wiring. An electrician I'm not.

I thought about the rear door as well Shane but didn't like the idea of the complications involved with the wiring. Under the rear seat seems like the best solution. Since I rarely carry passengers in the back the seat will be folded up 99% of the time thusly aiming the sub into the cargo area. That should provide good sound. We shall see. I hope I can figure out the wiring. An electrician I'm not.
I thought about doing the same thing but I will have the top down with half doors all summer exposing the unit to everyone to see, I keep rear seat folded as well as I have to put boxes in all the time for work.

Reactions: Shane Mckinley
Not sure if your sub compares in size to this one:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_777B8PTD/Sound-Ordnance-B-8PTD.html
I installed it inside my center console. Another thing is, I dont know if the ‘non-sub’ center console is any different internally or size-wise to the one that comes with a sub from the factory. The Crutchfield sub fit inside my center console. I simply had to remove the ‘guts’ and chassis of the stock sub to insert the Sound Ordnance.

So you had a factory sub and this one fit with some destruction of course, in the center console? how is this unit?

So you had a factory sub and this one fit with some destruction of course, in the center console? how is this unit?

I luv it and judging by the reviews, a lot of people do. I wouldn’t call it destruction. You’ll need to detach the sub from the inside of the console. Once the new sub is wired, it’s just a matter of draping the console overtop and screwing it down. I placed carpeting below it so it won’t rattle against the body.

I
Rob thanks very much. did you zip the felt cover back in place? Do you have descent sound with the sub speaker so close to the floor when the seat is upright.

Sorry I meant to thank you JMT, not Rob.

Well I mounted the sub under the rear seat per JMT's creative suggestion. Thanks again JMT. Did some temporary connections to make sure I wired it correctly. Pretty straight forward. I gotta say this sub amp kicks ass. I am so happy with the way it sounds. It's a whole new music dimension for me. Now comes running all of the cables under the carpet, fine tuning the amp and buttoning everything up. I'll post up a photo when I'm finished. Thanks to all that chimed in.

I caved and ordered one of these Rockford Fosgate PS-8 today.....

Since a few of you have installed already @JMT, I got a question. You've got your Ground, REM and Battery hookup. It's my understanding that if you hook up your RCA cables that run into your pre-amp on the back of the HU, you could put your switch on the PS-8 to "Audio" and wouldn't have to run a remote wire... Is that right or am I way off base? I've already got my pre-amp inputs hooked up to my HU, just need to run some cables to them under the dash.. did that in anticipation of my purchase.. :)

upload_2018-3-26_13-31-42.png

Since a few of you have installed already @JMT, I got a question. You've got your Ground, REM and Battery hookup. It's my understanding that if you hook up your RCA cables that run into your pre-amp on the back of the HU, you could put your switch on the PS-8 to "Audio" and wouldn't have to run a remote wire... Is that right or am I way off base? I've already got my pre-amp inputs hooked up to my HU, just need to run some cables to them under the dash.. did that in anticipation of my purchase.. :)

View attachment 36981
That may be right. I don’t remember. What I did was tie the remote into a wire behind the HU. I can look when I get home. I remember the remote wire is blue out of my HU. But I can’t remember what wire it ties into. Crutchfield gave me the answer at the time. I set my switch on the PS-8 to remote, but I recall there were a couple of ways to do it.

Generally the blue wire is a remote turn on used for amplifiers. Some can detect a signal though the rca's so you do not need the remote/blue wire.

Reactions: skrelnik

View attachment 36981
Ok, I reviewed the owners manual and it stimulated my memory. At first I also used the Audio sense selection. When the signal (music) came on, it took a second or two for the sub to detect it and activate. Since this was a little annoying and the preferred method was to get the signal directly through a 12v source, I hooked up the remote wire.

It will work through the Audio setting though. I hope this helps some. It will sound awesome as @MexiJeeper and others say!

Reactions: Cole