Rockymountainhigh5 LJ

Rockymountainhigh5

Supporting Member
Been waiting a long time to make a post like this. I drove a Suzuki Sidekick in high school and had a 2000 XJ for about 3 years in college. I'd spend hours on forums and supplier websites dreaming of what I'd do to increase the capability of both of those rigs, but never got around to it. Loved the XJ, and still wish I could have kept it, but unfortunately it had some rust, oil pressure and heating/cooling issues, and I didn't have the time or resources to fix them at the time so I sold it and got a full size truck. Never stopped spending time offroad/in the backcountry - but it's mostly been on snowmobiles and dirt bikes.

I've been eyeing LJ's pretty much since they came out - just haven't been able to justify the cost of a second vehicle, especially with the "rarity premium" you pay for the Wrangler Unlimited. Long story short - had some life changes this year, and after a bit of a mid-life crisis/YOLO moment on Facebook Marketplace I bought this clean, minimal rust, low miles (57,000 at purchase) LJ Rubicon a few weeks ago.

IMG_4461.jpeg

Phase one is just taking care of any issues and optimizing it for how it currently sits. It came with a 2 inch body lift and 33's that were old and cracked. They rubbed pretty bad, even just cruising around town so I went down to 32's (265/75/16). Previous owner hadn't done much in the way of maintenance, so in the last couple weeks I've changed spark plugs, serpentine belt and pulleys, added a thermostat (PO had removed it), changed diff/transfer case fluid, changed oil, head lights (the ones on it were the originals!), deep clean inside and out, etc.

I'm a sucker for a clean and quiet-ish interior so just ordered a BedRug Carpet system (right now it's just truck bed liner), hot heads liner on the top, getting the sub woofer working, stereo system sounding a little better, and seat covers. After that I'm going to drive it as is for a few months while a fix any other odds and ends that pop up, while a figure out what I want the actual "build" to be.

Right now I'm leaning toward tummy tuck, remove all or most of the body lift, add the 2.5 inch OME suspension lift and hopefully get 33's back under it without rubbing. I want to update the brakes to at least the Black Magic pads and possibly the full system. Bumpers front and rear, possibly a winch, and soft top for the summer. Not crazy or impressive by the standards of many builds I've been drooling over in this forum but it should be fine for the forest service/logging roads and the occasional Moab trip that will be 99% of the wheeling I plan to do.

Anyway - so stoked to have this thing, my wife has no clue what I'm talking about when I tell her all of the cool stuff this can do/will be able to do with some mods, so thanks for being a sounding board, haha.

Cruised up a dirt road behind my house the morning after I bought it, cracked tires and all:

IMG_4441.jpeg

Sounds similar to my path, just not a Rubicon. Had a few XJ/MJ when I was younger. Then had a long commute and for the last 15+ yrs have been into VW Diesels for the better MPG. Changed jobs and working 5mins from home, so my commuter needs are more flexible. Started looking for an LJ and found a clean no rust one from out west a couple hrs away and bought it a couple weekends ago. Next few months will be maintenance, reliability, and figuring out what lift is on it.

Your build plans sound similar to mine, 2in OME. Good Luck with your rig.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I don’t have anything bad to say about the OME springs, but the OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks were not good on my LJ. I’ve run OME stuff in TJs, LJs, WJs and in my RRC and the old Nitrochargers were great. The Sports are WAY too firm unless you are running VERY, VERY heavy. I’d string suggest looking elsewhere for shocks.

LJ looks great.

Reactions: Rockymountainhigh5
I don’t have anything bad to say about the OME springs, but the OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks were not good on my LJ. I’ve run OME stuff in TJs, LJs, WJs and in my RRC and the old Nitrochargers were great. The Sports are WAY too firm unless you are running VERY, VERY heavy. I’d string suggest looking elsewhere for shocks.

LJ looks great.

To which Nitrocharger Sports are you referring? They have two options, with the 60046/60048 versions being valved less firm than the typical 60047/60049 combo. Lots of people seem to overlook that fact.

Guessing some of you will recognize this mess… and can probably guess how my afternoon is going. Whoever added all of that chaos also managed to break the cluster bezel and the trim piece under the steering wheel. Overall excellent effort from what I’m sure was a well qualified professional 🤦🏻‍♂️ 😂

IMG_4519.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: L J and Apparition
Well, I’ve learned a lot in the past few months. Turns out I was wrong about a lot of what this jeep had when I got it. Came with a 1” day star body lift (I thought it was 2”, didn’t realize some stock parts are eliminated with that kit), and a 3 inch budget boost. I was told it was just leveling blocks, obviously a bit more than that. Either way, upgraded to a Savvy 1.25” body lift with a new body mount kit as the day star eliminated all of the stock rubber mounts. Still rolling with the budget boost. Uptravel is about 1.5 inches haha. Planning to address that ASAP

I’ve had vibrations at exactly 45mph and above 60 mph, so I sucked it up and installed some Savvy double adjustable control arms. I adjusted the rear pinion angle and completely eliminated the 45mph vibration, and pushed the higher speed vibration to only above 72mph. TODAY I put on new tires and rims. Haven’t had a chance to test it out at higher speeds but hope the freshly balanced tires\wheels help. I’ve got new u-joints ready to install when the new springs (Currie), and shocks (Rancho) show up so between the u-joints and potential driveshaft balance I’m hoping I can eliminate it entirely. Trying to make changes one at a time where possible to help narrow it down.

Glad to have found this forum, a lot of this stuff would have taken a lot more time and trial/error without the considerable knowledge available here. Really helps for a newbie like myself so thanks to all that contribute here.

As it sits with new the new tires/wheels (33x10.5x15), narrower tire and better backspacing eliminated rubbing I had with the previous 33’s:

IMG_1597.jpeg

Great looking Lj :) .

We picked ours up from the shop yesterday after having 4.88 Revolution gears and Eaton Trutrac differentials installed front and rear . While it was apart , had front axle universal joints , ball joints and wheel bearings replaced . On the rear it got new axle bearings and seals , new parking brakes and hardware , new rotors and brake pads . Today I'm going to get the new Falken At4w 255/85r16 tires mounted and balanced . It has a 2 inch OME lift , we'll see how it does with the larger tires . We only do moderate trails and Forrest service roads . Also have the new speedometer gear to install today .

Great looking Lj :) .

We picked ours up from the shop yesterday after having 4.88 Revolution gears and Eaton Trutrac differentials installed front and rear . While it was apart , had front axle universal joints , ball joints and wheel bearings replaced . On the rear it got new axle bearings and seals , new parking brakes and hardware , new rotors and brake pads . Today I'm going to get the new Falken At4w 255/85r16 tires mounted and balanced . It has a 2 inch OME lift , we'll see how it does with the larger tires . We only do moderate trails and Forrest service roads . Also have the new speedometer gear to install today .

That’s awesome. I’m still with the stock 4.10 gearing - and it’s been fine. To be fair though this is the only TJ I’ve ever driven, and it came with 33’s so my experience is limited but I’m not unhappy with it. I’m sure the 4.88’s will be great.

Reactions: bbaldwin237
That’s awesome. I’m still with the stock 4.10 gearing - and it’s been fine. To be fair though this is the only TJ I’ve ever driven, and it came with 33’s so my experience is limited but I’m not unhappy with it. I’m sure the 4.88’s will be great.

Nice white LJR I’ve got its twin😄
Running stock gears at the moment with 285/75/R16 BFG KM 3’s and 6 speed.
Was thinking about going bigger to 35’s but wife and I getting up there in age and already have a TJ on 35’s so will have it re geared to 4.56 in a couple weeks and call it a day.
Treat your stock lockers nice as new parts are non existent.
Welcome to the forum there are some people with a ton of real world experience hanging out here.

Well, I’ve learned a lot in the past few months. Turns out I was wrong about a lot of what this jeep had when I got it. Came with a 1” day star body lift (I thought it was 2”, didn’t realize some stock parts are eliminated with that kit), and a 3 inch budget boost. I was told it was just leveling blocks, obviously a bit more than that. Either way, upgraded to a Savvy 1.25” body lift with a new body mount kit as the day star eliminated all of the stock rubber mounts. Still rolling with the budget boost. Uptravel is about 1.5 inches haha. Planning to address that ASAP

I’ve had vibrations at exactly 45mph and above 60 mph, so I sucked it up and installed some Savvy double adjustable control arms. I adjusted the rear pinion angle and completely eliminated the 45mph vibration, and pushed the higher speed vibration to only above 72mph. TODAY I put on new tires and rims. Haven’t had a chance to test it out at higher speeds but hope the freshly balanced tires\wheels help. I’ve got new u-joints ready to install when the new springs (Currie), and shocks (Rancho) show up so between the u-joints and potential driveshaft balance I’m hoping I can eliminate it entirely. Trying to make changes one at a time where possible to help narrow it down.

Glad to have found this forum, a lot of this stuff would have taken a lot more time and trial/error without the considerable knowledge available here. Really helps for a newbie like myself so thanks to all that contribute here.

As it sits with new the new tires/wheels (33x10.5x15), narrower tire and better backspacing eliminated rubbing I had with the previous 33’s:

View attachment 502733

What wheels are those? I've not seen a set of soft 8 style wheels that color.

Got the lift installed, it took a little longer than I thought but it all went in eventually and didn't fall apart driving around today. Pretty interesting to see how it all goes together. Cycling the suspension was enlightening. I ended up figuring out that it came to me with a 4 inch Daystar lift. Replaced that with Currie 3" LJ springs, Rancho shocks, Savvy adjustable control arms, front track bar, and body lift, Moog ZJ tie rod, Crown drag link, JKS quick disconnect sway bar, extended brake lines. In the rear I just a have a bracket on the stock track bar for now, plan on upgrading it to the Savvy at some point. Also put in air bags for when we are loaded up for camping and have the bike rack on the back. Went from about 1 1/2" of up-travel in the front to a hair under 5", which was a substantial improvement in ride quality on roads with pot holes and prominent expansion joints. Tires are 33x10.5x15 Kenda Klever RT's in C load range.

Next up in the immediate future (like next weekend): valve cover gasket, OPDA, motor mount lift (went with aluminum blocks + factory style motor mounts), savvy transfer case cable, MORRyde tire carrier, new u-joints in driveshafts.

Gonna be a long wait for trails to open up in May.

IMG_1720.jpeg

IMG_1721.jpeg

IMG_1723.jpeg

IMG_1737.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the lift installed, it took a little longer than I thought but it all went in eventually and didn't fall apart driving around today. Pretty interesting to see how it all goes together. Cycling the suspension was enlightening. I ended up figuring out that it came to me with a 4 inch Daystar lift. Replaced that with Currie 3" LJ springs, Rancho shocks, Savvy adjustable control arms, front track bar, and body lift, Moog ZJ tie rod, Crown drag link, JKS quick disconnect sway bar, extended brake lines. In the rear I just a have a bracket on the stock track bar for now, plan on upgrading it to the Savvy at some point. Also put in air bags for when we are loaded up for camping and have the bike rack on the back. Went from about 1 1/2" of up-travel in the front to a hair under 5", which was a substantial improvement in ride quality on roads with pot holes and prominent expansion joints. Tires are 33x10.5x15 Kenda Klever RT's in C load range.

Next up in the immediate future (like next weekend): valve cover gasket, OPDA, motor mount lift (went with aluminum blocks + factory style motor mounts), savvy transfer case cable, MORRyde tire carrier, new u-joints in driveshafts.

Gonna be a long wait for trails to open up in May.

View attachment 511815

View attachment 511816

View attachment 511817

View attachment 511818

Congrats on the Jeep and lift install! Welcome to the support group! ;)

You may want to re-think/research the shock boots. General advice for TJs is they don't keep anything out and are more likely to keep you from seeing rust or damage to the shaft and/or a shock fluid leak. Food for thought.

Congrats on the Jeep and lift install! Welcome to the support group! ;)

You may want to re-think/research the shock boots. General advice for TJs is they don't keep anything out and are more likely to keep you from seeing rust or damage to the shaft and/or a shock fluid leak. Food for thought.

Used to take them off of the dirt bikes for the same reason. I should have made the connection. Thanks!