Roof Rack Pros vs Cons

kincaid.0678

Creates new curse words when working on my Jeep
Supporting Member
I’m looking into getting a roof rack for transporting cargo when we go on vacation this summer. I have a total of three people that will be in the TJ so removing the back seat is out of the question, although I have thought about purchasing a single bucket seat and fabricating a way to set the rear up with a single bucket seat for added space. Just looking for opinions from people that have had experience with the racks. I would probably get the smittybilt src rack if I go that route.

IMG_9473.jpeg

You’ve got one more person than I do, but I spent a bunch of time getting the most space out of my hitch rack for summer camping with the kids and avoiding a roof rack. With the HF rack I can stack 3 of the 27 gallon yellow totes and fit this cooler side by side.

1686159011031.png

I can then fit a blue 26 gallon tote behind the drivers seat and still fit a car seat.

Cons...whistling as you drive down the road. Top heavy. Symptoms also include rooftop tents, light bars, angry grills and overlanding.

My wife made me buy one for her JK. We've got a tent arriving soon.

Yes it will be nice to drive into a "campsite" flip open the lid and sleep. We've often done 12 hour plus days on back country discovery routes trying to fit one in on a long weekend or routing around impassible drifts of snow. In August.

Pitching a tent in the dark and waking up in a cow pasture the next morning is hilarious.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmMhCN0xgqfgjD19d_2T4aeVpA3JqT8HA
Just glad it will be on her Jeep.

I went with a Barricade frame mounted. The body mount ones might only have a few hundred pounds of weight capacity.

And if you go tent...and you just might...then best get something more substantial now.

-Mac

You’ve got one more person than I do, but I spent a bunch of time getting the most space out of my hitch rack for summer camping with the kids and avoiding a roof rack. With the HF rack I can stack 3 of the 27 gallon yellow totes and fit this cooler side by side.

View attachment 430722

I can then fit a blue 26 gallon tote behind the drivers seat and still fit a car seat.

I have a hitch hauler which covers the most of the luggage but it’s tight. Plus every year the wife finds more stuff to pack and more stuff to bring home from the beach. I was thinking either trailer or roof rack. Trailer would be nice but finding one cheap enough and small enough and then paying to get tags and all that on it just to haul a couple suitcases seems a bit much.

This rack has been a game changer for me. Fits three decently large totes, or two totes and a cooler side by side. Could probably do some stacking as well, but I would worry about covering tail lights.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G4Z5J0/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I have one of those and it’s definitely great for extra space. I started wiring up some trailer lights on it because it does cover up the taillights when stacked tall. I’ve found too much weight on it makes the Jeep drive like a pogo stick lol

IMG_9460.jpeg

Garvin Expedition Rack. Buy once cry once.

I’d have to continue crying until the next years vacation because I wouldn’t be able to afford a vacation after that lol I’ve seen them online and they are nice. There is also a Jeep licensed one for like $2700 that would be sweet but again I’m not in a position to drop a couple grand on a rack I’d use once or twice a year.

I have a hitch hauler which covers the most of the luggage but it’s tight. Plus every year the wife finds more stuff to pack and more stuff to bring home from the beach. I was thinking either trailer or roof rack. Trailer would be nice but finding one cheap enough and small enough and then paying to get tags and all that on it just to haul a couple suitcases seems a bit much.

I hear ya, when my hitch rack gets too small I’ll probably try and find a FB deal like this. https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/773233544463390/

4x6 for $600 + I’m sure I’ll find other uses for it during the year.
1686164969340.png

I hear ya, when my hitch rack gets too small I’ll probably try and find a FB deal like this. https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/773233544463390/

4x6 for $600 + I’m sure I’ll find other uses for it during the year.
View attachment 430748

I’ve been scouring marketplace for a cheap one. All the ones that are in my price range have no title generally so a few more hoops to jump through, plus my Jeep is a 4 cylinder so if I did get a trailer I’d want it to be small like that. I’ve got a few weeks before the trip so I’m just trying to figure out the best route to go.

Reactions: L J
Have had a rack and the hitch. Prefer the hitch in every way. The only time I used the rack was to strap multiple surfboards up when I had 4 people in the jeep so fitting them in the back sticking up and out didn’t work. The hitch got me the space to load anything like coolers, bags, fishing cart, boogie boards, and more. The pain of having the weight up high and not being able to just throw the top down or swap tops made me sell the rack. With a quality bumper or hitch Mount you won’t have a problem with weight unless you’re dumb enough like me to put 2 jeep axles on them.

IMG_6402.jpeg

IMG_2763.jpeg

IMG_2693.jpeg

IMG_6730.png

Cons...whistling as you drive down the road. Top heavy. Symptoms also include rooftop tents, light bars, angry grills and overlanding.

My wife made me buy one for her JK. We've got a tent arriving soon.

Yes it will be nice to drive into a "campsite" flip open the lid and sleep. We've often done 12 hour plus days on back country discovery routes trying to fit one in on a long weekend or routing around impassible drifts of snow. In August.

Pitching a tent in the dark and waking up in a cow pasture the next morning is hilarious.

[URL]https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmMhCN0xgqfgjD19d_2T4aeVpA3JqT8HA[/URL]

Just glad it will be on her Jeep.

I went with a Barricade frame mounted. The body mount ones might only have a few hundred pounds of weight capacity.

And if you go tent...and you just might...then best get something more substantial now.

-Mac

The noise factor doesn’t bother me. My Jeep is loud with the cherry bomb exhaust and I usually keep the music up loud. I’d only use the rack a few times a year so most of the time it would just be in storage. Probably throw a few suitcases on it , nothing with much weight just bulky stuff.

Reactions: macleanflood
Have had a rack and the hitch. Prefer the hitch in every way. The only time I used the rack was to strap multiple surfboards up when I had 4 people in the jeep so fitting them in the back sticking up and out didn’t work. The hitch got me the space to load anything like coolers, bags, fishing cart, boogie boards, and more. The pain of having the weight up high and not being able to just throw the top down or swap tops made me sell the rack. With a quality bumper or hitch Mount you won’t have a problem with weight unless you’re dumb enough like me to put 2 jeep axles on them.

View attachment 430723

View attachment 430724

View attachment 430725

View attachment 430773

Been there lol mine was a transmission and transfer case with engine in the back 😂

IMG_8767.jpeg

Other roof rack cons are increased overall height,especially when loaded, and no security for your stuff. Save the $500 or so to buy the rack and build yourself a small enclosed trailer. Your past posts show you have the talent to easily do that(y)

Garvin Expedition Rack. Buy once cry once.
This TJ has that rack I intended to delete and changed my mind - I have firm suspension so it corners great, has 4:88 gears so it pulls good - has lights on the rack and overall works good.... if you want a rack.

The noise can be mitigated with spiral rope at the front or pipe insulation.

My advice- Don’t put one on if it doesn’t help you carry what you need.

If you want one, these are good ones.

It puts holes in the body and the brackets will scar the windshield frame brackets- So I consider them something that needs to stay on if you want the best cosmetics.

909D0673-34AD-4808-A15C-0838269633E7.jpeg

Last edited:
My first wife had a habit of over packing whenever we went home on Leave. Even without a back seat there wasn't enough room, especially if we were bringing Christmas presents. So I got one of these to tow behind the YJ.
https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...y-40-12-in-x-48-in-utility-trailer-62665.html
I built a box out of a couple pieces of plywood, about 3" tall. No permanent mod to the Jeep except a hitch on the aftermarket bumper and the lights. It also worked well for hauling furniture when required.