Roof top tents (Not all that good?)

I’ve been looking at a gazell in stead of a rooftop.
Just ordered a T4 last week. The last ship date from earlier this week was 12/24/2021. Not sure if that's just an automatic thing or what.

I've used pop-up blinds for years and they're pretty quick setups, so I like the idea of the T4 style and from what I can tell, the quality is pretty good and well thought out.

Reactions: Terry Tiemeyer
I used to want rtt on my Jeep, almost made a purchase, but then decided to look for negatives somewhere outside of happy overland YouTubers that are always satisfied with their sponsored $$$ gear.

Came to a conclusion that:
1. Integrated with hard top is the only long lasting option.
2. Anything below $2000 in rtt world is shite
3. If it stays on top, something will happen to it sooner than later.
4. If it does not stay on top, you will begin to question the entire idea.
5. There is a reason why so few wranglers run roof racks, and even fewer with rtt on them.
6. Having a roof rack with plywood on it, use it for storage and as base for a regular tent, is a better solution if you are sticking to rtt idea.

Investing into a roof rack, awning, cot-tent combo is the way to go in my opinion.
I disagree with #2. The Smittybuilt RTT is awesome and under $2K.

I disagree with #2. The Smittybuilt RTT is awesome and under $2K.
I've seen some reviews of the Smittybilt and people do seem to like that one. I think there's some small stuff that an owner can do to lessen some of the noise.

Personally I don't think I would want to deal with getting the cover put back on the tent (repeatedly) when securing it, but I'm just guessing. I always thought a hard top that goes straight up and doesn't clam shell would be what I'd get if I picked up a RTT, but more and more, I'm just not an overlander.

However when it comes to all of these setups, if you will just nut up and setup camp or break it down without wringing your hands, none of the setup times are that big of deal unless you're doing bushcraft shelters every night. It's kinda like washing dishes, you can whine about them or you can just do them and then they're done almost as fast as loading/unloading a dish washer (and I'm lazy and try to even avoid loading/unloading the dishwasher).

I've seen some reviews of the Smittybilt and people do seem to like that one. I think there's some small stuff that an owner can do to lessen some of the noise.

Personally I don't think I would want to deal with getting the cover put back on the tent (repeatedly) when securing it, but I'm just guessing. I always thought a hard top that goes straight up and doesn't clam shell would be what I'd get if I picked up a RTT, but more and more, I'm just not an overlander.

However when it comes to all of these setups, if you will just nut up and setup camp or break it down without wringing your hands, none of the setup times are that big of deal unless you're doing bushcraft shelters every night. It's kinda like washing dishes, you can whine about them or you can just do them and then they're done almost as fast as loading/unloading a dish washer (and I'm lazy and try to even avoid loading/unloading the dishwasher).
I own one and while putting that top on isn't my favorite thing to do, it's not hard at all. The tent is great. I have it on a trailer so no issue with the noise.

The cover isn't bad. I'm glad it's velcro vs a zipper like others.

Smittybilt has quite a few design features that I thought were good for the price.

My biggest complaint with a RTT has always been getting in and out of them. Don't know about you guys but every time I sleep in a tent, I'm drunk. Climbing into a tent 6 feet off the ground, at night, unzipping everything, and then as soon as your comfortable you have to piss... it's a pain in the ass. Have a dog? Good luck getting you're 50lbs lab in the tent...then she cries all night and you get zero sleep.

I own mine and it has it's place but I would not buy again. Just pitch a tent with a sleeping pad.

My biggest complaint with a RTT has always been getting in and out of them. Don't know about you guys but every time I sleep in a tent, I'm drunk. Climbing into a tent 6 feet off the ground, at night, unzipping everything, and then as soon as your comfortable you have to piss... it's a pain in the ass. Have a dog? Good luck getting you're 50lbs lab in the tent...then she cries all night and you get zero sleep.

I own mine and it has it's place but I would not buy again. Just pitch a tent with a sleeping pad.
My ground tents can be a pain in the ass too. Find the zipper in the dark and trip on the way out damned near pulling down the tent. But there's no ladder to contend with.

I do think about 10-15' of hose and a funnel would be handy for a middle of the night piss though.

Both types of tents have their places in my life.

LOL

Believe me when I say I tried one of those apparatus's. I bought a "she wee" when I first got into off roading. Let's just say I can do a lot better at squatting then using the She wee. LOL
My wife uses one... it took some practice (many women say to practice in the shower first) but now she loves it. In her words she can "stand in the weeds or behind the Jeep, undo her fly and pee like a man!".

I own one and while putting that top on isn't my favorite thing to do, it's not hard at all. The tent is great. I have it on a trailer so no issue with the noise.
I've heard some comments about various tents (throughout the years) especially for the zippers and stuff like taping your zippers can stop some rattling from the wind and stuff at night. I think some have not so great foam bedding, which is an easy fix too. Just get some firm marine foam, etc. Try some maintenance/lube/conditioners on your buckles, zippers, etc and that helps and just repair stuff as it occurs and get stuff open to dry out after rainy outings.

But yeah most complaints I hear are certainly not that big of a deal. Different areas need different setups and there's always camper/driver preferences, to each his own.

Also Pee Jars are the camper's/hunter's best friend.

My wife uses one... it took some practice (many women say to practice in the shower first) but now she loves it. In her words she can "stand in the weeds or behind the Jeep, undo her fly and pee like a man!".
My wife didn't like the "she wee", but I think it's kind of a kayaking issue and our PDLs have a cut out section that's kinda perfect.

Reactions: DaveF
I have a buddy who installed a RTT on his TJ and it took him 30-40 minutes to get it ready for use at night and about the same to get it ready for wheeling in the morning. We gave him so much good-natured crap about it that he ended up removing it never to be seen again. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: B252 and BugoutJeep
My Jeep came with a tent on it, I just use that one. 😉

I think using a hammock inside the jeep is the perfect overland sleeping solution if you're by yourself and 6' or shorter. I've done it in both a TJ and an LJ.

1. the jeep doesn't have to be level... I just park and put my head toward whichever end is higher.
2. There's no setup or takedown time because I just tie up the hammock next to the speaker pod with a bungee to keep it out of my rear view. No need to load or unload a bunch of stuff from the vehicle to the tent and back. At most I usually unload my water so it starts off cold the next morning, and my cooking setup which is in a large 20mm ammo can.
3. Taking a piss isn't a big deal cause I just open a door and stand on a slider...no need to put on shoes or work a zipper in the dark.

If I have a passenger, they can bring a ground tent. Or if it's my kid, I unlatch and fold the back seat and turn it 90 degrees so he can sleep next to it on the tub floor under me. He's 6 now and getting tall enough that I need to tumble the seat all the way forward and fill in the rear footwell with a pillow.

IMG_20210604_211641.jpg

Reactions: ColoJeep
Lol.

RTT, is a easy 5 minute setup. Literally from start to sleeping. And yes, I rock the Smittybilt tents.

Had both. Have the XL now on my M416 with a annex.

It’s the perfect setup for a TJ. I sold mind.

Have a 25’ travel trailer now. It fits our family and in our area.

Have ground tents.

It’s all good.

RTT to me is an expensive double swag on your roof too hard to get off and store so you leave it on and it starts to rot or gets dust/stone/uv damage.
For a smaller cost and less space you can buy many types of quality canvas easy up tents that will last a lifetime of occasional use and longer trips, and lets be frank tents and RTT,s are for occasional use.
I have been through quite a few tents over the past few years after re discovering camping and one thing I have noticed as I am getting older is I need "Headroom" you need headroom else you are forever on your knees, RTT,s have no headroom, if you are happy crawling in and out you may well just have a dome swag. I have an ARB double skydome swag but I have not used it since I discovered headroom can be had with simple set up pack down RV tents.

I have a buddy who installed a RTT on his TJ and it took him 30-40 minutes to get it ready for use at night and about the same to get it ready for wheeling in the morning. We gave him so much good-natured crap about it that he ended up removing it never to be seen again. 🤣

What the hell is he doing for 40mins? Mine goes up in about 8-10mins if I'm alone. 2 guys, 5 mins flat. I also have the annex for mine and that takes a lot longer but I would never install it for a simple overnight. The annex is awesome. My setup isn't much to look at but it's pretty slick. I have the tent on top of the trailer, open the doors, set up the annex and I have a weatherproof, bug-proof, trailer. I set up a cot in the trailer and someone has their own room.
75445C64-CB23-4B21-A903-2DD2DFF2079D.jpeg

My Jeep came with a tent on it, I just use that one. 😉

I think using a hammock inside the jeep is the perfect overland sleeping solution if you're by yourself and 6' or shorter. I've done it in both a TJ and an LJ.

1. the jeep doesn't have to be level... I just park and put my head toward whichever end is higher.
2. There's no setup or takedown time because I just tie up the hammock next to the speaker pod with a bungee to keep it out of my rear view. No need to load or unload a bunch of stuff from the vehicle to the tent and back. At most I usually unload my water so it starts off cold the next morning, and my cooking setup which is in a large 20mm ammo can.
3. Taking a piss isn't a big deal cause I just open a door and stand on a slider...no need to put on shoes or work a zipper in the dark.

If I have a passenger, they can bring a ground tent. Or if it's my kid, I unlatch and fold the back seat and turn it 90 degrees so he can sleep next to it on the tub floor under me. He's 6 now and getting tall enough that I need to tumble the seat all the way forward and fill in the rear footwell with a pillow.

View attachment 279220
This is the first time i wished i wasnt 6'3"! Lol! (Not entirely true. If it wasnt for the misch big boy brackets. I wouldnt own a Jeep at all. Lol.)

I wonder of a 6 foot plus person could hammock in an lj?

Speaking of hammocks. Im not a big fan. But i think id rather hammock in the trees rather than rtt. I never thought of the dog issue either.

Reactions: John Cooper
This is the first time i wished i wasnt 6'3"! Lol! (Not entirely true. If it wasnt for the misch big boy brackets. I wouldnt own a Jeep at all. Lol.)

I wonder of a 6 foot plus person could hammock in an lj?

Speaking of hammocks. Im not a big fan. But i think id rather hammock in the trees rather than rtt. I never thought of the dog issue either.
6' was a hard limit with the TJ. I can definitely tell I have more room to spare in the LJ but it's hard to tell how much. It would be tempting to say 15" because the tub is that much longer, but the roll bar turns down earlier in the rear so the section that's vertical on the TJ is at more of a diagonal on the LJ, so you get some of that 15" but definitely not all of it, and maybe not even half. But 6'3" seems plausible. Might try before you buy though 🤣