Rotten smell from vents

Kennedy1220

So since I’ve gotten my Jeep there’s been a rotten/fishy smell that comes from the vents whenever I turn the heat on. It smells like something crawled into the ducts and died. I have tried spraying Lysol and mold killer into the fresh air intake several times, but the smell always comes back. I was wondering if there was any way to clean out the ducts without removing the entire dash. If I do have to remove the entire dash do you think it would be worth replacing the heater core while it’s out. My Jeep has 94,000 miles on it but the heat blows hot still.

Sounds like something did indeed crawl into your dash and die. Unfortunately there is no way to remove things from the HVAC system easily without taking off the dash

You could remove the cowl panel on the hood and check to see if there is anything dead in there. That's easy to do and definitely where I would start.

I was hoping to do this but in the 2003s the fan is behind the glove compartment and in the cowl, it’s not in the firewall.
The fan is still easily removed from there, it twist locks into place. Just remove a couple screws holding the kick panel cover above the foot well to get to it.

Do I remove it from above in the cowl or from inside the car?
Yours is new enough so it should come out from under the dash inside. The fans came out from the firewall in the engine compartment in older TJs but I don't know when that change was made, my guess is 2003.

So just to update the thread, I probably should have checked this earlier but the coolant is the source of the fish smell. I’m pretty sure coolant is supposed to smell sweet like syrup som I’m gonna go ahead and change that. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Last edited:
I would flush it several times with distilled water and run the heater to see how it smells before you fill it with anti-freeze. If it is ok, then maybe take a chance and refill with proper anti-freeze. If not do the over haul of the heating system.

Reactions: Kennedy1220
Do not mean to hijack the thread, I have the same smell. Plans are to replace the heater core. What is the part number to the recommended heater core for a 2006 TJ ?

Flushed the coolant with distilled water until it ran clear and there is no longer any bad smells coming from the vents. Also no smell of coolant in general, so for now I will hopefully not have to replace the heater core.

Glad to hear that, that's great news!

Do not mean to hijack the thread, I have the same smell. Plans are to replace the heater core. What is the part number to the recommended heater core for a 2006 TJ ?

Here is the OE heater core for your 2006:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=303150355264

The OE heater cores are made by Valeo for Mopar. Get them while they last, as I don't think they'll be here forever since they've been discontinued.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.