Rough Country 3.25 inch lift?

Bmw335ikt

Hey guys I’m new to wranglers and just picked up a 2004 rubicon. I was looking at getting the 3.25 inch suspension lift and front and rear track bars with the steering stabilizer. I like this kit bc it looks easy to do and requires no drilling or cutting.

Is this kit good? Do you guys recommend anything.
Also I’m looking at getting 15 inch Mickey Thompson classic 3
I just don’t know which size to go with
15x8 -22 offset and 3.6 backspacing
Or 15x10-45 offset and 3.6 backspacing
I’m prob going to run 33x12.5x15
Thanks

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend that lift or anything from Rough Country. If you want a decent lift at a good price, the Zone combo lift is the better option. Rough Country shocks are complete shit.

Also, those wheels and tires will fit just fine with no need for a wheel spacer or anything. 3.6" backspacing is about right where you want it for that tire size.

The Zone lift I mentioned above will be better, as it is 4.25" of lift, which is better suited for 33s. 4" is the ideal lift height for clearing 33" tires.

I recommend 15x8 wheels over 15X10. Also offset is not what we focus on, back spacing is. 3.5-4" or so usually works great for 12.5" tires.

With a 4" lift, you'll need a t-case drop (the less ideal way, but I have one...for now) if on a budget to get you by, or a SYE and adjustable rear control arms, the best way to do it.

The Zone lift I mentioned above will be better, as it is 4.25" of lift, which is better suited for 33s. 4" is the ideal lift height for clearing 33" tires.

I recommend 15x8 wheels over 15X10. Also offset is not what we focus on, back spacing is. 3.5-4" or so usually works great for 12.5" tires.

Good Advice ^

With the Zone lift you more than likely will not need a SYE.

Reactions: Chris
I just installed a Zone combo lift over the last week and am very pleased with it. Install was pretty straightforward. I ran into a fitment issue with the rear track bar relocation bracket, but I've got a non-stock axle in the rear so I assume that has more to do with putting a lift on non-stock parts than with the kit itself. Also, if you go that route, you'll likely have to cut out the passenger side motor mount bolt and replace it because as its installed from the factory you can't pull it out of its mount without removing the AC compressor (at least on mine). Other than that, the kit was a clean install.

Also, if you order through a local shop you can specify shocks other than the Zone shocks. I got the combo kit with Rancho RS5000x shocks, which have great reviews around the forums. Again, very pleased with the results.

Reactions: Cornbread
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
X2 on the advice to go with a Zone over a Rough Country. For 33" tires Zone's 4.25" combination lift which includes a 3" suspension lift and 1.25" body lift is ideal. But if you think you may end up on 35" tires in the not too distant future, I'd go with the 4" suspension lift now though that definitely would also require you install a SYE kit into your transfer case and replace your rear driveshaft with a double-cardan (aka CV) driveshaft.

Go 15x8 wheels, not 15x10. 4" of backspacing is ideal for 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 tires. And X2 on the Rancho RS5000x shock recommendation. Make sure not to let anyone screw up and sell or ship you Rancho's older far stiffer riding RS5000 shock by mistake.

Reactions: Thumper4fun
X2 on the advice to go with a Zone over a Rough Country. For 33" tires Zone's 4.25" combination lift which includes a 3" suspension lift and 1.25" body lift is ideal. But if you think you may end up on 35" tires in the not too distant future, I'd go with the 4" suspension lift now though that definitely would also require you install a SYE kit into your transfer case and replace your rear driveshaft with a double-cardan (aka CV) driveshaft.

Go 15x8 wheels, not 15x10. 4" of backspacing is ideal for 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 tires. And X2 on the Rancho RS5000x shock recommendation. Make sure not to let anyone screw up and sell or ship you Rancho's older far stiffer riding RS5000 shock by mistake.

For what it's worth, I've got full steering in both directions with the 4.25" combo kit and 35" tires with no rubbing and plenty of clearance. The tires are a 35/12.5x15, although as you can see in the pics above the wheels have pretty low backspacing so that helps (I haven't measured). I went that route in part to avoid the need for a SYE and driveshafts, which weren't in the current budget. Cost of the kits is about the same, but like Jerry said the 4" lift adds a few more expensive mods you'd need at the same time.

Edit: Sorry, mixed up my posts today when I referred to photos above. Here's mine on the exact Zone kit with 35s. 20190405_113414.jpg20190405_113518.jpg

Thanks guys for all the help do you know what the part number would be for the rancho shocks. Thanks

Also worth mentioning is the JB conversions “super short” SYE. The older style SYE’s dont allow for the longest rear driveshaft possible. With shuch a short wheel base you want the longest drive shaft you can get.

The longer driveshaft on your lifted short wheelbase TJ will *help* alleviate driveline vibrations. Or at the very least increase your chances in fighting them best you can with what you have available.

The older style long output shafts are cheaper and don't allow for the longest driveshaft possible. You get what you pay for when it comes to most* Jeep parts out there.

Super short SYE:
https://www.jbconversions.com/products/sye/np231j_short_sye.php

Typically for offroading needs, 4" of total additional clearance (like a 3" suspension lift plus 1" body lift is perfect for 33" tires. For 35" tires, 5" of total additional clearance is recommended... like a 4" suspension lift plus 1" body lift.

Also worth mentioning is the JB conversions “super short” SYE. The older style SYE’s dont allow for the longest rear driveshaft. With shuch a short wheel base you want the longest drive shaft you can get.

Doing so, will *help* alleviate driveline vibrations. Or at the very least increasing your chances in fighting them best you can with what you have available.

The older style long output shafts are cheaper. You get what you pay for when it comes to most* Jeep parts out there.

Super short SYE:
https://www.jbconversions.com/products/sye/np231j_short_sye.php
I'm not in agreement that a super-short SYE is needed for such a small suspension lift. Especially since SS SYE kits eliminate the speedometer gear which requires the additional purchase and expense of an electronic speedometer calibrator.

I installed a standard (non supershort) SYE into my previous TJ and ran various sizes up to 5.5" of suspension lift with never any vibrations whatsoever in my short wheelbase TJ. Being able to keep the speedometer gear installed is a definite plus, not needing an electronic speedometer calibrator cuts costs and eases the overall installation.

Reactions: Fouledplugs