Rough Country 4” Rework

NicKnack

TJ Enthusiast
“There is probably an answer to this already somewhere on here” Feel free to link the snot out of this if I’m asking what’s already been asked.

It’s bonus season at work and I have some play money to dump into the old empty pocket. I purchased it a while back and it already had the dreaded RC-4” installed.

I’m planning to throw some 33”s on it with some backspacing, but the real question is this...

Apart from the obvious need to install a new driveshaft, SYE, and adjustable control arms, I’m in need of shocks. I’m also considering regearing because I do a lot of highway driving and even on the 31”s the 4.0l dogs down in 5th. (It does see a fair amount of dirt and stone as well, I’m not completely neglecting it)

Essentially I’m looking for some “where should I go from here?” advice. I’d rather tend to the more important items first, but the list seems a bit overwhelming right now.

I'd pull the entire lift and install the Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks. No need for adjustable control arms or SYE with that lift. You must have 3.07 gears if your Jeep sucks with 31s. Regear to 4.56 if you don't plan on going larger than 33s. If you have a Dana 35 rear axle, I'd just swap in some 4 cylinder TJ axles with 4.10 gears. MUCH cheaper than a regear. I did that on an old Jeep and both axles cost me $300.

Reactions: John Cooper
I'd pull the entire lift and install the Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks. No need for adjustable control arms or SYE with that lift. You must have 3.07 gears if your Jeep sucks with 31s. Regear to 4.56 if you don't plan on going larger than 33s. If you have a Dana 35 rear axle, I'd just swap in some 4 cylinder TJ axles with 4.10 gears. MUCH cheaper than a regear. I did that on an old Jeep and both axles cost me $300.

What advantage does Zone have over RC?

Why is the RC 4" "dreaded"? That's what I have and I need to replace my shocks (only been on there for about 5 years) and I'm wondering if I'll need to do anything else?

Ah,
“There is probably an answer to this already somewhere on here” Feel free to link the snot out of this if I’m asking what’s already been asked.

It’s bonus season at work and I have some play money to dump into the old empty pocket. I purchased it a while back and it already had the dreaded RC-4” installed.

I’m planning to throw some 33”s on it with some backspacing, but the real question is this...

Apart from the obvious need to install a new driveshaft, SYE, and adjustable control arms, I’m in need of shocks. I’m also considering regearing because I do a lot of highway driving and even on the 31”s the 4.0l dogs down in 5th. (It does see a fair amount of dirt and stone as well, I’m not completely neglecting it)

Essentially I’m looking for some “where should I go from here?” advice. I’d rather tend to the more important items first, but the list seems a bit overwhelming right now.
Bonus season, yea we got none this season. First time since 2012.

Why is the RC 4" "dreaded"? That's what I have and I need to replace my shocks (only been on there for about 5 years) and I'm wondering if I'll need to do anything else?
I’m a believer in doing it right the first time. The spacer bars are the first annoyance to me because they tell me something else should be done to accomplish that height. The shocks are terrible. The kit promotes itself as being a one and done setup, but it’s really not. There are so many other things that should be upgraded when going to a 4” lift for true functionality and not just mall crawling. So alas, I find myself with deeper than normal pockets trying to fix the bigger issues first but still take care of as many issues as possible.

Well, I ended up getting Skyjacker BlackMax shocks, Steinjager rear sway bar w/ F & R discos, 33x12.5 Dick Cepek Trail country A/T on ProComp 51 series steelies, all new exhaust except the manifold, and the tire carrier portion of my previously installed rear bumper. Oh, and complete drum brake rebuilds. To boot, I still have the rear axle seals and bearings, timing chain, diff fluid swaps, and rear blinker repair waiting on the bench to be done. Lots of wrenching soon to come!

Reactions: Chris