Rough Country 6" long arm lift install and review

SSNCHIEF

Recently installed the six inch touch country long arm lift on my 2003 Jeep TJ Rubicon. I was a little hesitant about it based on the information I've read on line about poor product quality. Well, I can tell you that I couldn't be more pleased with the install. Every piece in the kit was "massive" compared to the factory parts. All parts were good quality and I really experienced no major issues with this extensive bolt on product. I will share some feedback and some pictures of my experience.

First, the instructions. They were very detailed but in my opinion, not very organized. I read them numerous times online before I even pulled the trigger on buying this kit. I approached this install by breaking it down into three parts. The front axle, the control arm section and the rear axle. I then chose to install the main control arms first. This served several functions. First, it allowed me to modify the skid plate, install the control arms and then have the jeep back together without the tranny having to be supported by a jack while I disassemble the front and/or rear suspension. The second thing it allowed was to be able to assemble the front control arms and attach them one side at a time to the front axle to help hold it in place. After I installed the control arms, I moved to the front of the jeep completed that axle and then moved to the rear axle. The entire install was straight forward and not overall not difficult. I did it all by myself using jack stands. Below are the few issues that were a little difficult.

Drilling the holes through the frame. The control arm brackets utilize the factory skid plate bolt holes but holes must be drilled through the sides of the frame for four bolts. The hardest part about this is ensuring the inside frame hole is aligned horizontally with the outside. You do not have room under your jeep to drill these holes from the inside.

Removing the old factory control arm mounts. A 4 1/2 inch grinder from harbor freight with the thin cut off blades works well for this. Take your time and wear eye protection.

Product quality. As I stated above, everything was extremely heavy duty. The only parts, I really were not crazy about was the quick disconnects for the front sway bar. They were functional and did the job but were not easy to actually disconnect and seemed like they were in a bind when connected. I ended up replacing them with quick disconnects from another manufacturer.

Instructions also mention you may have to modify your exhaust. This is a necessity. Your factory muffler will make contact with the rear control arm. I removed the factory muffler and tailpipe and replaced with a 21" cherry bomb from O'Reillys and a six ft length of flexible exhaust pipe from Advance. Of course, you can take it to a muffler shop and have them weld one up but I'll do that at a later time.

Ride quality. Second to none! I was worried to death I was going to have death wobble or my jeep drivability was going to be severely degraded. This was not the case. The jeep drives great and tracks well going down the road even at speeds greater than 60 MPH. Here are a few pics on the install.

Job well done! That is definitely a much more complicated install than some of the other lifts out there.

It looks like your going to need to notch out the rear lower spring perches. On full droop, I suspect they will be denting the bodies of your shocks, especially if you plan to play off-road with it at all.

No worries though, that's a very common issue and very, very easy to address.

Job well done! That is definitely a much more complicated install than some of the other lifts out there.

It looks like your going to need to notch out the rear lower spring perches. On full droop, I suspect they will be denting the bodies of your shocks, especially if you plan to play off-road with it at all.

No worries though, that's a very common issue and very, very easy to address.
You are right Chris. I did notch them. I put them in place and took this photo to show where I needed to cut out. The kit came with shock brackets that pushed the shock out away from the axle but even so, it still needed to be notched.

Reactions: Chris
You are right Chris. I did notch them. I put them in place and took this photo to show where I needed to cut out. The kit came with shock brackets that pushed the shock out away from the axle but even so, it still needed to be notched.

Gotcha! I figured you must have, since there was no way those shocks were going to fit without the spring perches smashing into them :)