Rough Country control arm adjustments

Long Rider

TJ Enthusiast
I bought my jeep several years ago with what seems to be a 4" Rough Country lift. The belly pan was lowered about 1.5-2", I'm guessing from the kit.
I'm wanting to raise the belly pan back to normal height and use a motor mount lift to help with the driveshaft angle.
My questions are:
1. Will I have enough adjustment in the RC control arms to restore the normal pan placement?
2. Will there be enough adjustment left to go with a tummy tuck later?

I know RCs are inferior. I'd prefer to use the best made in the US products, but money's tight.

Thanks!

It's hard to say. I would remove one arm and measure it hole to hole and then see how much adjustment you can get out of it. If you can't get the proper adjustment, you'll have to back to what it was.

Are you sure you have adjustables? Usually, most people cheap out and buy their cheapest lift with fixed arm length.

Reactions: imahnu
It's hard to say. I would remove one arm and measure it hole to hole and then see how much adjustment you can get out of it. If you can't get the proper adjustment, you'll have to back to what it was.

Are you sure you have adjustables? Usually, most people cheap out and buy their cheapest lift with fixed arm length.

It is possible they’re fixed length. Rough country sells a 4” kit with fixed length and rubber bushings.

IMG_20230302_134542.jpg

I have a rough country 4 inch adjustable lift. I believe there are 2 kits. The one I have is adjustable on one side of the control arms. There is a lot of adjustment available. This is my first time posting. I am very grateful to everyone on this forum for all the valuable information I have gained here.

I'm wanting to raise the belly pan back to normal height and use a motor mount lift to help with the driveshaft angle.

Shouldn't be an issue since you will probably be adjusting the lower control arms shorter to rotate the pinion higher.
Do you already have an SYE and DC driveshaft?

Reactions: imahnu
View attachment 404386
I have a rough country 4 inch adjustable lift. I believe there are 2 kits. The one I have is adjustable on one side of the control arms. There is a lot of adjustment available. This is my first time posting. I am very grateful to everyone on this forum for all the valuable information I have gained here.

I'm 95% sure mine looks like this.

it's a rubicon. I don't know what you mean by DC driveshaft.

You won't need the SYE.
You will need the Double Cardan driveshaft when you start rotating the pinion up to reduce driveshaft angles.
I didn't need one on my LJR (longer driveshaft) until I did the tummy tuck.

Basically the post above is something to look at because you can search the market and find some other rod ends - I’m trying to remember the whole deal but I think it’s the uppers that are the hardest to find- It’s really not the control arms that gets you it’s the connections which is the joint at the end anyway- I wish I had more to tell you but all I can really say is it’s worth looking into- I think Rockcrawler had something that some guys like, but don’t hold me to it.

but money's tight.

Or you can try this.
Install the motor mount lift.
Check transfer case output and rear pinion angle for parallel.
Adjust control arms if necessary.
Check for vibrations.
Adjust or move on.
Gradually reduce transfer skid drop with smaller spacers / washers. Maybe 1/2" at a time.
Check angles. You may need to make the lower arms longer and/or uppers shorter.
Check for vibes.
Adjust or move on.
If you can eliminate the drop without vibes, you still need to make sure you're not maxing out the u-joints' operating angle.
This includes any additional angle that may happen when the axle droops.

I ran my stock LJR driveshaft up to about 3.5". When I added the tummy tuck I didn't trust the ujoints and switched to a DC driveshaft.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
That's the RC X series lift. I had it on my old Sahara. The PO installed it. Install the MML, ditch the tcase drop, adjust the arms and see how the vibes are.
p.s. Get better shocks if it still has the RC ones.

Thanks. I'll give it a try when i get the time. With multiple fused vertebrae in my neck, it doesn't sound fun, but ah'm a may-un. Ah ken take it!

• Sad
Reactions: TheBoogieman