Rubbing feeling in gas pedal at 60mph

LittleGiant

Supporting Member
Recently I have felt a rubbing feeling coming from the gas pedal. I don’t feel it until I hit 60 and it’s more of a rotational feeling. It’s not a constant, it’s as if something is rotating and rubbing at a certain spot when it estates if that makes sense.

I had it checked out and was told they don’t feel anything. I know for a fact that it’s there because it wasn’t there before and it’s VERY obvious to me when I hit 60. It’s driving me crazy.

I read somewhere that it’s the front driveshaft cv joints. ????

Any thoughts?

Send pictures for one. It should be solid with no wiggle room. Sometimes jacking up the wheel and rotating it while watching revels issues. Or noises.

-Mac

Thoughts?

IMG_1280.jpeg

IMG_1279.jpeg

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

IMG_1276.jpeg

Well...looks bad on the outside...

Could also be the u joints on the axles.

I'd pull your front driveshaft and go for a spirited ride.

Noise goes away and you know what to replace.

Front shaft has a double carden joint at the transfer case. Little tricker to rebuild. Nothing you can't fix with hammers, pliers and a 8mm 5/16" wrench.

-Mac

Reactions: swtrailboss
Well...looks bad on the outside...

Could also be the u joints on the axles.

I'd pull your front driveshaft and go for a spirited ride.

Noise goes away and you know what to replace.

Front shaft has a double carden joint at the transfer case. Little tricker to rebuild. Nothing you can't fix with hammers, pliers and a 8mm 5/16" wrench.

-Mac

Stupid question, how do I drive if I pull it off? What exactly do you mean?

I just realized that after looking at the repair manual. Seems Susie easy to remove. Just a few bolts for each end.

Just have to remind myself to mark them before removing them

Reactions: macleanflood
5/16 or 8 mm wrench will do it.

Easier to drop the skid plate but with a flashlight and some patience you can fish it out.

Front is easy.

Jacking up the front wheels lets you rotate the shaft... helpful to have someone hold the brakes or a tire while you break the bolts free.

-Mac

5/16 or 8 mm wrench will do it.

Easier to drop the skid plate but with a flashlight and some patience you can fish it out.

Front is easy.

Jacking up the front wheels lets you rotate the shaft... helpful to have someone hold the brakes or a tire while you break the bolts free.

-Mac

Is it safe to say that I have this much play in the front drive shaft because 4WD isn’t engaged?

Here me out on this…

Recently when this problem started it was only a few days later that my harmonic balancer was way out of whack and was about to fly off.

I changed it, however the rubbing feeling still persists. I noticed that my new balancer still doesn’t turn perfectly without a wobble. While under the Jeep this morning I felt around the bolt for the balancer and noticed that it doesn’t seem to be centered perfectly with the bolt. The gap from the bolt to balancer isn’t even all the way around.

Is it possible to put a balancer on and not be straight?

I have a feeling this issue is associated with the balancer and what it’s attached to because it only starts at higher speeds and that’s when everything is really spinning fast.

IMG_1286.jpeg

Dial indicator would tell you...you can also hold something close to the pulley and slowly turn the engine by hand and see if it's on straight.

Also could be a defective pulley.

-Mac

P.S. The 4.0 is internally balanced... it's just a crank pulley.

P.S. The 4.0 is internally balanced... it's just a crank pulley.

The 242 is internally balanced , however it has a " Torsional Dampener " that is referred to as a " harmonic balancer " by many.
It is definitely not , " Just a crank pulley ". It counter reacts to the slight twisting of the crankshaft as the engine fires and lessens stress on the crankshaft for 100's of thousands of miles.

Reactions: macleanflood