Rubicon axle upgrade costs

gaabbee

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm adding up costs for an eventual upgrade to 35's. Checking out Revolution gear and axles website and started adding things to the cart.

US made front axle kit $1033.99
US made rear axle kit $604
Jeep gear package kit $631
2x eaton Dana 44 e-locker $2145.08
Labor to install gears $1200?
Total is about $5,600

Decided to go look at Currie's page

High pinion front Dana 44 w/e-locker $5328
Rear Dana 60 w/e-locker $5495
Total $10,823

But, I can sell the stock rubi axles and pumps. I've seen them go for about $3500-4000.

New total after axle's sold. $6,823 for the Currie axle's

I like the Currie's because you get the front high pinion, thicker axle tubes, better pinion angles, and I can install them in my driveway vs sending it to a shop to get the gears installed. I understand that both options weak points are the ball joints but I don't plan on going bigger then 35's (famous last words).

So which do you pick and why. Is the Currie axle option worth the extra 1,200? I have about 102k miles on my LJR for reference. I know you can probably do better price wise with other companies so show me how you'd spend the money. In both cases the requirements were 4.88 gears (6 speed), new shafts, and e-lockers.

I think you've made a pretty good argument to get the Currie axles. If you can go a few weeks/months without your axles I'd throw them up for sale and see if you can get a high asking price. High pinion 44 in front would be sweet! I think your bolt pattern changes as well so you are likely opening up more rim options by going this route.

You'll also be replacing the rubicon locker pumps which is certainly a concern of mine. I've gone through 3 in the last 2 years and now my rear one is leaking so once again I have to pull my cover.

I think you've made a pretty good argument to get the Currie axles. If you can go a few weeks/months without your axles I'd throw them up for sale and see if you can get a high asking price. High pinion 44 in front would be sweet! I think your bolt pattern changes as well so you are likely opening up more rim options by going this route.

You'll also be replacing the rubicon locker pumps which is certainly a concern of mine. I've gone through 3 in the last 2 years and now my rear one is leaking so once again I have to pull my cover.
The thing about the Currie's is they will keep the stock width and stock bolt pattern. I think you could call and ask about switching but not sure if I'll go that route.

Major reason to change the stock setup is hearing all the stories about failed pumps or lsd breaking. Kinda lighting a fire under my butt since mine are all working for now.

Reactions: JeepingNet
there are benefits from the new aftermarket assemblies we just can't get with internal upgrades. if you can swing the $ then it's the way to go.
but i'd cut the expected sale price of the old axles to 2500, if you can swing the budget with less than your expected fetching price then your prepped for worst case.

and drive shafts could be an additional cost to beware of.

Reactions: Midtenn and gaabbee
there are benefits from the new aftermarket assemblies we just can't get with internal upgrades. if you can swing the $ then it's the way to go.
but i'd cut the expected sale price of the old axles to 2500, if you can swing the budget with less than your expected fetching price then your prepped for worst case.

and drive shafts could be an additional cost to beware of.
Yea that’s a good idea to plan for the worst. In both cases I would need new driveshafts to account for a tummy tuck so I didn’t bother since I would probably have to do it at the same time.

Reactions: someguysjeep
I’d be cautious on the price for the rubi axles. Maybe you’d get more because the pumps and such but I’ve seen a lot of Dana 44 sets go for 2500-3000. I’ve been tracking for the same reason as you describe above. There’s also the G2 Core44 people in my situation buy, driving down rubi resale.

Reactions: gaabbee