Rubicon Express Skid Plate & Transmission Maintenance

TJ Don

Supporting Member
I'd like to change the transmission pan seal and filter on my 2006 LJR. It has a Rubicon Express long-arm kit with a large skid plate that's right up against the transmission pan. I assume something other than this skid plate is holding up the transmission and transfer case but I can't see anything that is obviously doing so. If I'm to prop up the drivetrain with a jack when I take this skid plate off, where should I place the support?

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Can't see the picture.
Normally there are 4 nuts in the middle of the skid bolting it to the transmission.
If there's nothing there, it's possible there is some sort of crossmember that allows you to remove the skid separately.
Does the oversized skid prevent you from jacking up the transfer case output?

There are 4 nuts in the middle. The plate covers the entire transfer case, I could prop it up by putting a jack under the transfer case output.

Plate.jpg

plate2.jpg

That skid plate also functions as the trans mount. To remove it, you need to supprt the trans. Use a jack and a piece of plywood under the trans pan. Just make sure the wood supports the outside perimeter of the pan.

X2, support the transmission with a jack or jack stand placed in front of the skidplate, remove those four nuts in the center of the skidplate, then remove the hex-head bolts holding the skid plate in place and lower it to the floor. Be careful, those hex-head bolts provided by RE are cheap/soft and the hex-opening can be easily stripped out. 3 of my 6 stripped even after having been careful and I had to weld bolts to them to get them out.

X2, support the transmission with a jack or jack stand placed in front of the skidplate, remove those four nuts in the center of the skidplate, then remove the six hex-head bolts holding the skid plate in place and lower it to the floor. Be careful, those six hex-head bolts provided by RE are cheap/soft and the hex-opening can be easily stripped out. 3 of my 6 stripped even after having been careful and I had to weld bolts to them to get them out.

There are 17 of those hex-head bolt suckers...

After mastering the art of welding nuts to those things, I replaced all of them with Grade 8 versions. And even when using anti-seize, I still had them strip occasionally. That thing is long gone from my rig, and good riddance.

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I assumed your trans pan was also covered by the skid.
As it probably should be. ;)

Take a closer look at his picks - that skid only covers about half of the trans pan. With that setup you also need an engine skid to protect that and the engine oil pan.