Running Hot

Pho20

Hey Guys, I have a 2006 TJ with the 4.0 engine. I got a check engine light the other day and the code was PO28 looked it up and it says something about temperature so I replaced the thermostat and the water pump and hoses etc. Because of not knowing how old everything was just to be safe. This was a few weeks ago and I got the code again yesterday. So I'm not sure what else to check. But since I changed everything out it seems to me to be running a little hot it's just under 210 on the gauge. It's never gone over 210 but it just seems to me it shouldn't be that high. I say that because I have a 2001 Cherokee with the same motor and it doesn't run that hot. And on a side note I live in Deep South Texas and it does get pretty hot here. So I guess what I need to know, is this a normal running temp. and I can keep driving it like I stole it or do I need to try to find a way to bring the temp down. THANKS.

Just under 210 sounds exactly right to me, others will chime in too. I think the thermostat needs to be 195 degree, that what you used?

Like on your other thread, 195 is the correct thermostat, and with that the engine Will run about 210. That is about the standard operating temp.

I’m not sure what that code is, I haven’t seen it on mine, but you may need a new sending unit etc? The temp you have, if it’s correct, is just fine.

Mine in TX summer is right there on the highway and in traffic with the AC on.

First off... are you sure about the DTC number of P028 posted above ?
What was the color of the coolant in the radiator before replacing the water pump?
The radiator may need to be flushed, the thermostatic clutch for the cooling fan needs to be checked for proper operation and what is the condition of the radiator cooling fin passages ?

That DTC says running cool, and the cause may be a stuck open thermostat.

If you just replaced with a Mopar 195, then the sensor is the next thing to check or change.

Ag least that’s what I’m seeing.

Assuming there are no leaks, and the system is running without damaged parts, then definitely check the sensor.

First off... are you sure about the DTC number of P028 posted above ?
What was the color of the coolant in the radiator before replacing the water pump?
The radiator may need to be flushed, the thermostatic clutch for the cooling fan needs to be checked for proper operation and what is the condition of the radiator cooling fin passages ?

It had the orange color coolant in it and I have a electric fan which is all working correctly. It's now running just under 210 on the gauge and everyone here says that's where it needs to be with a 195 thermostat. THANKS

That DTC says running cool, and the cause may be a stuck open thermostat.

If you just replaced with a Mopar 195, then the sensor is the next thing to check or change.

Ag least that’s what I’m seeing.

Assuming there are no leaks, and the system is running without damaged parts, then definitely check the sensor.

(y)