Rust issues on recent jeep purchsse. Should i fix or wait Cost

Ike13lol

Recently bought a jeep with a 4.0 and 128k miles. Body is pretty much rust free from what I can see. Underneath doesnt look horrible. Frame looks decent and the control arms in are not rotted. The ground body mounts look very nice. The middle body kounts have a little rust that has gone through. Is this something I should try to fix now? I just bought it and I'm hoping to drive fir a couple years without putting a ton of money into it. I'm in south east mn. Advice is appreciated.

20191215_161237.jpg

20191215_161446.jpg

20191215_161431.jpg

20191215_161357.jpg

Seems wise to address the rotten torque box. The frame body mounts look fine, but it would be wise to treat the surface rust that you see to prevent further damage. Super common problem so there are many ways to repair. I had to replace my entire torque boxes. It helps that my cousin welds though.

That one mount looks kinda rough but I’d use a wire brush to remove all the loose stuff then decide if it’s bad enough to start patching things once you can really see it. Someone else could be more helpful for the deciding what’s too thin but there’s a chance it might still be good enough under the flaking rust and you could just clear that away then spray paint to save what’s left. Either way there’s no point in leaving the flaky stuff, just clear it out and get a better idea of what’s going on.

Those middle ones are done for and the above is a decent way to fix them.. but if you really don’t care to fix it I’ve seen way worse and the body hasn’t slid off the frame yet.

At least make sure the others don’t rust out and spray oil (fluid film is good) up there using a 360 degree wand, if you want it to last as long as that engine will last you.

Once the area is compromised like that in your climate and conditions water gets in and freezes/thaws it does not take long to be stuck with a mess.

1) If nothing is done, all those body mount parts will be the reason that Jeep is bought as a parts Jeep in a couple years.

2) Cutting the rust out and replacing it with steel will add a number of years to that Jeep.

3) Repeated Fluid Filming will add at least few years, maybe more, to either scenario.

I suggest skipping #1, and even if #2 isn't going to happen any time soon, #3 should be done before every winter. It can always be removed if/when necessary.

I just went through this with my 2004 wrangler. Had no idea frame was rotten, previous owner filled frame with foam the under coated over top of bad places. Jeep looked great and clean when I bought it. Go to Facebook Moab Motor Sports or their website to see the mess.
Pricey but I now have basically a new frame.. Now have learned Jeep Wrangler 1998-2006 notorious for rusted out frame. Lots of videos on you tube showing fix for rusted out frame.
Hope this might help save someone else a disaster🤓

I agree. Address it now. I'm working on one of those TJs that should have been sold for Jeep parts. Apparently I can't walk away from a challenge. Both sides of the frame were rusted out as well as the frame channels on the body. I suspect, judging by the first and second picture, your frame channels have rusted enough to substantially weaken the integrity of the frame channel on the body. If not addressed soon, it will cause the mounting bolt to work through the floor and punch through to the inside of the tub. I have removed the body from the frame on my Jeep project ('99 Wrangler) and am installing Safe T Caps from axle to axle and replacing upper and lower spring perches in the rear. I had the body on a rotisserie for a month and replaced both front floor pans, both frame channels, and a couple other problem areas. All of it was done with new metal. I want this Jeep to outlive me and the next owner. Besides, it's fun, right? That's why we do this.