Rust on frame ends

TrailDonkey

F29281F5-E9B3-489D-AA72-65F5C1C3432F.jpeg
I wanted to know if there are aftermarket “slip-on” frame end repair kits that anyone knows of. I went to take off the stock front bumper to put on a new bumper & winch. I don’t think that the current rusty frame will withstand a winch pull without breaking with the current rust problem…

CECE924A-67CF-4D10-A634-31B80E0DD649.jpeg

Before i put any money i to that frame id want to know the rest of the frame condition. Any other photos of your frame near the skid plates and control arms?

Looks okay to me.I can't imagine how much force it would take to rip the metal apart, provided the top bolts are properly torqued down. Much more than a winch can deliver. The bottom looks a little thin but top looks fine as far as I can tell. I wouldn't let it bother me.

Rest of frame looks good.
Have you really gone over the entire frame thoroughly because I would find it hard to believe it’s all good based on what we’re seeing up front. The section of frame rot you have is not traditionally one of the bigger trouble spots on a TJ frame – it would seem to me that if you’ve got rot up there it’s very likely lurking elsewhere in the usual ‘first to rot spots’ like in front of the rear control arms & the rails where they meet the tc skid, and even at the rear crossmember because unlike the front which is open allowing water to drain, the rear is abutted by the flat crossmember which has holes above the low point of the frame allowing water/salt to pool, I see those ends often rotted out here in Saltopia.

Bolts were rusted and had to be cut off. I had intended to replace the bumper with aftermarket… not anymore… not yet anyway. I need to weld in new metal
Just curious how come you decided to cut through the bumper and then cut off the nut inside the tight frame area vs. cutting the bolt head right off at the top?

Have you really gone over the entire frame thoroughly because I would find it hard to believe it’s all good based on what we’re seeing up front. The section of frame rot you have is not traditionally one of the bigger trouble spots on a TJ frame – it would seem to me that if you’ve got rot up there it’s very likely lurking elsewhere in the usual ‘first to rot spots’ like in front of the rear control arms & the rails where they meet the tc skid, and even at the rear crossmember because unlike the front which is open allowing water to drain, the rear is abutted by the flat crossmember which has holes above the low point of the frame allowing water/salt to pool, I see those ends often rotted out here in Saltopia.
You are correct. The center mounts were repaired, welded, ground smooth and sprayed with paint/bed linner. You have to really look close to see it. The front of the rear control arms is clear. The rails where the trans cover is looks ok too. It’s obviously been sanded and bed linered but sounds solid when I hit it with a hammer. No bondo…