Rust Problem

TJ_Man99

Ok, so I live in Va and we have to get our cars inspected once a year. I went to get my inspected today and it failed because of the rust on my tub. The man at the garage I took it to said that it would be about a 10 to 15hr job for them to do it at $104 an hr. Is that that I can expect from other places? At what point do I need to find a scrape yard to take it off my hands. I love the jeep but I'm a college student who cant afford to drop thousands of dollars on a car right now.

20200309_175440.jpg

20200309_175449.jpg

You're looking at the start of a very deep, very expensive, rabbit hole. It's either going to suck up a bunch of your time and energy, or money if you have someone else do it.

Sounds like you just need reliable transportation, not a rusted out project. I would ditch it for whatever it will sell for in it's current condition and find something else.

Reactions: Chris and bromel
Ok, so I live in Va and we have to get our cars inspected once a year. I went to get my inspected today and it failed because of the rust on my tub. The man at the garage I took it to said that it would be about a 10 to 15hr job for them to do it at $104 an hr. Is that that I can expect from other places? At what point do I need to find a scrape yard to take it off my hands. I love the jeep but I'm a college student who cant afford to drop thousands of dollars on a car right now.

View attachment 145152

View attachment 145153
That is a difficult and expensive repair if you don’t a welder and tons of time.

I think I see some rusty stuff welded to your frame. I can't say how long that repair will last but if the rust hole on the body is all that's stopping your TJ from passing inspection, I'd probably just fill that hole with something that feels solid, spray some undercoating on everything down there and take it to a different inspection place. Since it's just part of the body and not the frame you may even be able to just cover any holes with duct tape like some of my friends in PA did in the 1990s to pass. I do wonder if that's still allowed.

As long as the frame isn't rusting apart I'd probably repeat one of the above as many years as possible until I could afford a less rusty TJ.

You're looking at the start of a very deep, very expensive, rabbit hole. It's either going to suck up a bunch of your time and energy, or money if you have someone else do it.

Sounds like you just need reliable transportation, not a rusted out project. I would ditch it for whatever it will sell for in it's current condition and find something else.

This is sound advice, seriously.

From what I can see you have some major, major rust issues.

If it's rusted like that in one spot, I can guarantee you there are more spots like that hiding. The inside of that frame is also toast, I can pretty much guarantee it.

I would either part that thing out and sell it for the cost of parts, or prepare for a very expensive, very time consuming project.

Reactions: Hog
That’s an extremely common rust point. Go to rust repair patch’s website, and you can get the patch panel for that exact area. It’s under 100 for both (at least when I got mine). Take it from someone who lives in the rust belt, don’t get rid of it just due to rust. With a little work, it will be good for many more years. :)

Side note, I really wish I would’ve kept my first TJ I ever had, bought it when I was stationed in San Diego, it was a 97. Bought it in 2015 and it still looked brand new underneath!

Reactions: RobertJ
Poconos metal craft has the repair pieces for that... Cut out the rusted section and weld in the new. Check on line..

Living and driving in the rust belt means many vehicles over 10 years old you just going to have to deal with rust.

That’s an extremely common rust point. Go to rust repair patch’s website, and you can get the patch panel for that exact area. It’s under 100 for both (at least when I got mine). Take it from someone who lives in the rust belt, don’t get rid of it just due to rust. With a little work, it will be good for many more years. :)

Side note, I really wish I would’ve kept my first TJ I ever had, bought it when I was stationed in San Diego, it was a 97. Bought it in 2015 and it still looked brand new underneath!
Just looked into Rust Repair Patch, and they look like a good option. Thanks for the recommendation.

My opinion... sell or trade it on a decent “beater” with good gas mileage. Finish college. Land you the job in the field you are pursuing. Get settled in life and buy a TJ you want that’s in good shape and won’t be a financial burden.

Depending on what your state requires rust may or may not be a reason to fail an inspection. NY allows all sorts of rust. I've seen quarterpanels rotted out up to the rear window. In VT they fail you if there is any exposed rust. (Last I knew. Brother lived there a while ago)
If the Jeep runs and drives well and there is no compromise of the frame I would keep it on the road as long as it is economically viable. It is probably what we call a 'beater' but that could still have years of life left in it. Try and stop the rust from growing and patch what you got. Now if it needs all new brakes and the suspension is breaking off then let it go.