Rusted frame

gobills23

Hi guys and gals!

I am considering buying a 2001 Jeep TJ 60th anniversary edition but it has a rusted through frame. It also has a rusted drivers side fender. Overall, the body is in exceptional condition, it has full steel doors and both hard and soft tops. The best thing is it only has 65,000 miles! I have heard it costs somewhere around $3-4k for new frame but obviously there will probably be more incidentals. What do you think a fair offer would be? Or would you consider parting it out? It just seems that it has a ton of potential.
thanks in advance for any direction or expertise...Todd

Can you post some pic, it would be a big help.
Can you post some pic, it would be a big help.

you are correct...unfortunately, they left before I took any pics. Unless you climbed underneath you would think its a very nice Jeep...but the frame is toast. The floor pans looked fine and the gas tank etc.
Someone posted a pic on another thread with the exact looking frame...even the bolts on the transfer case skid plate are rusted out and its falling

Last edited:
Would you be doing the work or paying a shop? Redneck garage has some videos where he thought he'd safety cap his way to success..... he finally realized and got a new frame.

Would you be doing the work or paying a shop? Redneck garage has some videos where he thought he'd safety cap his way to success..... he finally realized and got a new frame.
No...there is a shop in Greenwood, IN that advertises powdercoated frame swaps for $3k...then another $150 for stainless brake lines and he also repairs tub mounts if needed

There's a thread from about two days ago, use the search button, there are links to repairs and used frames for pretty cheap. Might give you an idea.

No...there is a shop in Greenwood, IN that advertises powdercoated frame swaps for $3k...then another $150 for stainless brake lines and he also repairs tub mounts if needed
Seen that shop too. If you look closely at their photos some of their "good frames" have safetcaps installed lol. I'm not sure i would trust them. https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pts/d/greenwood-clean-jeep-tj-frames-97-to-06/7066861151.html

Esit: zoom in on the frame on photos 5, 6 and 7

I know of the guy in Indiana. Frames are safety capped. He definitely finds them in scrap yards for next to nothing, caps them, and then swaps the frame for $3k. Not a bad business honestly, but at that point just safety cap the frame you already have.