Rusted TJ door pins

Crazyman1304

Saw other posts about this but none ever had answers to the situation I'm facing. My Tjs door pins are rusted in real bad. I tried to remove the doors last summer but ended up giving up. I'm wondering what the best way to remove the doors are without damaging them and to fix the rust and make them easily removable for next time. I live in Minnesota so rust is quite a problem here so I'd love to remove it and prevent it. One of the threads on the doors broke when removing the nuts last year so any info on the best new pins would be helpful too!

Repeated applications of Kroil and time. If they open and close, you will eventually get them to come off. Every time you open the door, apply upward pressure to it.

I carefully used a floor jack and some wood blocks to remove my doors for the first time once I bought my jeep.

I eventually replaced the pin bushings with TMR bushings

https://www.tmrcustoms.com/collecti...its-jeep-cj-yj-tj-lj-add-removal-install-tool
I did run into the problem that I got the included tool stuck in the hinge to the point it won't come out and purchased a new hinge from daveys jeeps. I used harbor freight drill bits to remove the remaining factory bushings since the tool was permanently stuck.

You may find not needing to install nuts is a good thing, all mine on my full doors are broken. But if you want to replace the pins.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000TYU14C/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: JMT
Repeated applications of Kroil and time. If they open and close, you will eventually get them to come off. Every time you open the door, apply upward pressure to it.
I tried Kroil last year after hearing the wonders of it on the forum but after a month or two I had no progress made and eventually tried hitting the pins which worried me about damaging them more and I eventually gave up. But I will try Kroil again and try to apply force with a jack or air hammer and be careful not to damage them more

After sufficiently soaking with a good penetrate, either have a floor jack and block or person to give slight up pressure on door close to hinge and then use a brass drift to tap the end of the hinge pin. The brass will keep you from mushrooming the threads on pin. It probably needs a good shock to break it loose.

After trying to get some penetrating oil down into the hinges, disconnect the limiting strap and while lifting, walk the door all the way open and all the way back to nearly closed. Keep lifting while opening and closing. More penetrating oil, more opening and closing while lifting. It was a major, sweaty, painful workout to get mine out the first time, but I haven't seen any other solution that doesn't pose at least some risk to damaging the doors. A wheeled floor jack might help with the lifting if you can get it to roll as you open and close the doors, but make sure you're lifting as close to the inside, hinge end, of the door as possible. If you lift way out at the end of the door, I think it will make matters worse, as you want the lifting force to be as straight up as possible. Completely worth the effort though!

Reactions: Claytone
When using a jack keep in mind that you may end up lifting one whole side of the Jeep. That in itself isn't really a problem but when the hinge finally becomes free, the Jeep will drop straight back to its original height but the door will try to fall off the jack in whatever direction works best for it. There are a couple ways to be smarter than the door, 1) don't lift more than an inch or so and once it moves up just go another 1/4 inch at a time. 2) have someone there to keep the door from falling over when the Jeep does drop. For the record, I'd suggest both.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
A few days of liquid wrench, a jack, a block of wood, and a lot of patience. Make sure you pick up delrin bushings when you get the doors free.