Rusty floor pan replacement on 2000 TJ

BEARHUNTER

Hello guys ! Brand new to the forum today and in need of some info. I just purchased a used 2000 wrangler with very bad front driver and passenger floor pans. Under the front buckets on back everything looks great. I have never tried to install pans in anything. Is this something I should try to do myself or have it done? What would it cost me to have a shop do it? THANKS MUCH--BEARHUNTER

If you don't have experience doing something like this yourself, you should have a shop do it. The floor pans are welded in.

Reactions: BEARHUNTER
Really hard to say without pictures and understanding severity of damage. There will also be factors of do you do all the prep work (removing carpet and seats if needed, which is really simple in the TJ), do you want seamless repair or cut out the bad and leave bulk of it there and weld new steel over the top etc... I'm a believer in learning new things (i can weld and stuff already so I wouldn't have an issue tackling this project) so I would try it myself. Do you have a welder and a grinder? If not, I could pretty much guarantee the cost of the work would be higher than buying the equipment to do it and you get the satisfaction of saying you did it yourself. And you get new tools out of the project to keep.

Sounds good brother ! I do know my front torque boxes will need replaced along with the front right and left floor pans. I figure for a shop to do it I'm looking at a grand ??

If it’s more than just floor pans, best bet is to go talk to a couple shops and get some quotes. Make your decision based off those prices on what you would rather do.

142130.jpg
41bH7C1DhgL._AC_.jpg

The parts are readily available through multiple suppliers, but everything the others have said is true. It's just not a job for the faint of heart. ;)

View attachment 119200View attachment 119201
The parts are readily available through multiple suppliers, but everything the others have said is true. It's just not a job for the faint of heart. ;)
Can I ask what the bottom picture part is called.
I already have a new floor pan (to be installed by a welder friend at some point soon). I'm wondering if I should order that bottom part too, and take care of all the issues while he's down there cutting and welding.

**Noticed the pics I quoted are not showing for me. I'm referring to the pics Squatch posted. The top one is the floor pan. I do not know what the name of the bottom pic is.

bottom.jpg

Can I ask what the bottom picture part is called.
I already have a new floor pan (to be installed by a welder friend at some point soon). I'm wondering if I should order that bottom part too, and take care of all the issues while he's down there cutting and welding.

**Noticed the pics I quoted are not showing for me. I'm referring to the pics Squatch posted. The top one is the floor pan. I do not know what the name of the bottom pic is.

View attachment 119246
That's one of the torque boxes. That one is a full torque box. They also sell a partial torque box, if I recall, as it's more common to only have the skinnier section rust out.

Reactions: Sunder