Rusty Hinges

RME TJ

Greetings. Newbie here. I've been putting a lot of TLC into my new TJ this winter and it's coming along really well. This forum has been a huge help! I'm looking for some advice on how to tackle rusty door hinges (first pic). I've done a couple of coats of evaporust but it's not doing much. I was thinking I would treat it with rust reformer and just paint over that. Does anyone have a better fix for this? In the second picture, I have concerns with what appears like it could be rust behind the window hinge bracket. I really don't want to break the factory painted hardware loose if I don't have to but I'm worried there might be a rust issue behind the piece. I'm assuming that I need to remove it and see what going on behind there but wanted to get some input before I do. Also, does pic 3 look to be a RMS leak?

2021-02-11_9-25-27.png

DS window hinge rust..jpg
2021-02-11_9-26-39.png

Pull the doors off to get to that rust. I like to use a (gun) barrel brush to get into places like that. They work great for any installed nutserts like in the back too.
You'll have to open those windshield hinges too. The only way to truly get rid of rust is to expose it and remove all traces of it. Dribbling some miracle rust fixer around the outsides will only give the illusion of stopping the rust.

Not breaking loose any factory painted hardware as long as possible on every hinge on a TJ is a good idea. Screwing up the paint is one thing but ending up spinning the nutserts is way worse, so pull those doors off by lifting them straight up.

The first thing I'd do to any of the visible surface rust is sand it down, prime and paint. Just above the windshield hinge it looks like you'll need to wrap the sandpaper around a nail file because there's very little room to do the work. At least it's not a lot of rust and that area will almost hide the touch up paint.

While Goatman is correct about removing all traces of rust and any miracle rust fixer, I'll just add this:

Unless you're going to enter your TJ in a concours d'elegance somewhere, brushing or spraying Fluid Film on every place that two pieces of metal touch, even when painted, will allow it to creep in where the water/salt/slush wants to go and keep it out.

I also just read your post about not wheeling until they stop salting the roads. That's great news but I'd still do the Fluid Film to avoid any liquid from getting in there.

I just got done coating the underside with fluid film but didn't think about creeping it into all the painted nooks and crannies. Good call on the barrel brushes @Goatman. That tip will definitely help me get those door hinges ready for paint. Thanks for both of your replies! Your expertise is very helpful and much appreciated.