Rusty skid plate / cross member bolts

Stealthrunner

Hi everyone, first post, been here for awhile i have seen posts for replacing the nutcerts and tips on how to remove the bolts, but not how to set yourself up for success and properly apply rust lubricants.
IMG_5674.jpg
IMG_5675.jpg
IMG_5676.jpg
IMG_5674.jpg
IMG_5675.jpg
IMG_5676.jpg
IMG_5672.jpg

I needed to drop the cross member in order to do some work on the transmission pan I had 2 bolts with striped threads in the transmission and needed to install some helicoils. Getting the damn bolts loose "good luck??" I PB blasted the hell out of them all week, they still wouldn't budge. I was thinking the PB Blaster wasn't getting to where I needed it too, i noticed a small hole in the frame just aft of the cross member bolts (there is one on both sides.) I had some spare 1/2 inch tubing, i cut about 12 inches and fed it onto the end of a WD-40 Penetrating fluid and fed the tube into the frame starting with the most forward bolt I sprayed the crap out of all the cross member bolts and let them sit for about an hour. I came back and the bolts came right out.

I hope this helps someone!!

Reactions: Mike_H
Something else you'll find that works even 10 times better than P.B. Blaster is Kroil:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F09CF4/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I wasn't a believer until I tried it, but oh my goodness... This stuff is an absolute MUST have for jobs like this. Check out all those reviews and you'll see I'm not alone. Glad you were able to get them out though, those things can be a pain in the butt.

Reactions: Stealthrunner