Rustys Bumpers

Photocycler

I have read many threads on the forum regarding bumper options but not finding much on the Rusty Bumpers. I am looking for a simple mid width option with matching rear that has a hitch and no tire carrier.

The price seems right, you can get the front without the bar for a nice simplified look. Wondering if anyone has any experiences with these, have read some minor things with people not liking Rustys products here but nothing on these bumpers. If these are bad may just go with the warn rock crawler bumpers.

1629999933643.png

If it's from Rusty's I personally would not buy it. Really. Their post-sales support is bad, heaven help you if there's a problem. I didn't come up with the below meme, it shows the general consensus about their quality.

Rusty's.jpg

Check out the AMERICAN-made bumpers at www.thedirtworx.com. They are inexpensive and the quality is great, I have installed two of them. You do have to paint them as they come in bare steel but that's easily handled with an aerosol can of Rustoleum self-etching primer followed by a coat or two of Rustoleum satin black.

If it's from Rusty's I personally would not buy it. Really. Their post-sales support is bad, heaven help you if there's a problem. I didn't come up with the below meme, it shows the general consensus about their quality.

View attachment 273264

Check out the AMERICAN-made bumpers at www.thedirtworx.com. They are inexpensive and the quality is great, I have installed two of them. You do have to paint them as they come in bare steel but that's easily handled with an aerosol can of Rustoleum self-etching primer followed by a coat or two of Rustoleum satin black.
I’m probably being more picky than I should with this but I am going after a certain look. The Dirtworx rear looks great, I’m not a huge fan of the front with the way the ends angle up.

Reactions: Vasq
I’m probably being more picky than I should with this but I am going after a certain look. The Dirtworx rear looks great, I’m not a huge fan of the front with the way the ends angle up.
If looks are more important than quality and function then by all means go for Rusty's.

Reactions: LakeBeard
It definitely sounds like your mind was already made up when you posted then, good luck with Rusty's bumpers.
LOL, I think you are totally reading my thread wrong.

I appreciate your feedback but if you are going to respond, should probably read what I am writing before criticizing me. If my mind was made up, again wouldn't waste time posting here and trying to explain myself to you.

Those Rusty's bumpers OP linked look identical to my Warn bumpers!
Looking identical means nothing. There are plenty of cheap imitation Rolex watches that are, externally, such a great copy of the real thing that many watch makers can't even tell them apart without taking them apart. The actual quality inside where it counts is shit. The Chinese are great at making cheap copies of a good quality product. Rusty's would be at the bottom rung where that quality would be concerned.

There were cheap copies of Currie's bumpers made too, they looked so close that Currie finally stopped making theirs. That left the cheap quality copies that don't hold up nearly as well.

Looking identical means nothing. There are plenty of cheap imitation Rolex watches that are, externally, such a great copy of the real thing that many watch makers can't even tell them apart without taking them apart. The actual quality inside where it counts is shit. The Chinese are great at making cheap copies of a good quality product. Rusty's would be at the bottom rung where that quality would be concerned.

There were cheap copies of Currie's bumpers made too, they looked so close that Currie finally stopped making theirs. That left the cheap quality copies that don't hold up nearly as well.
Believe me, I know this all too well. I made Jeep parts out of China and Taiwan for years. The manufacturer’s over there will give you exactly what you pay for.

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I got Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
I had him remove the hoop and extend the width a couple inches and Robert was able to accommodate my request without any problem. If you don't want/like the angles on the bumper just indicate what you want in the "special instructions" box in the order form.
I will say the quality is excellent.

When did Rusty's go downhill? They used to be almost the 'go to' brand for what was then referred to as the Budget Boost. I think it was like a 2.5 or 3 inch lift kit, can't remember which. But I had one on my old '97 4-banger and was more than happy with it.
Got out of the Jeep game for several years, and now they are pretty much universally crapped on.

Rusty's was never high enough on the hill to be able to go downhill. Their bad reputation started at least 20+ years ago when Rusty refused to take back or help buyers of their their truly shitty quality and bad fitting soft tops. Rusty himself had a really bad public 'screw you' attitude that really turned everybody off to him.

Got out of the Jeep game for several years, and now they are pretty much universally crapped on.
They aren't really, this is very old news. Most of the people involved in this are probably long since not working there. I wouldn't worry about it. Check for any recent news here or anywhere if you are interested. This is just an old beef.

Rusty is still Rusty. He was an argumentative asshole to his customers then, he hasn't changed. I was almost embarrassed for him being such public jerk to people who needed help with products they purchased that had problems.