Rusty's Offroad

Ted

TJ Enthusiast
Can anybody give me the scoop on Rusty's? Quality or junk? I'm looking at a skid plate. Looking for something that will hold up and not break the bank. II have looked at others but in the end they are all built to do the same thing. Savvy wants over $300 to ship a single skid and this one can ship for $120.

What gets me about this one is it only bolts up with 2 bolts on each side

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...stys-belly-pan-tj-long-arm-03-06-rubicon.html

I used several of his products 12-13 years ago on my XJ. Good stuff, good prices. Unfortunately from what I have read recently, quality has dropped off significantly. I doubt you will find anyone saying that Rustys is in the same league as Savvy. Buy once cry once, as the old saying goes.

Reactions: Chris
I have no experience with anything from Rusty's personally so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I have seen sooooooo many bad reviews in a row that I'll steer clear of them myself.

Technically I could gain some personal experience with them if I wanted to, but why risk my money on something I've heard more bad than good about? Some people may have good experiences with them but it just doesn't seem worth the risk to me, especially since they offer NO refunds under any circumstances, even if they send you the wrong product. Their return policy is simply store credit, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Damn. Well Im not paying more to ship a lighter item that is located closer to me.. Rusty's is a further ride and a heavier item. Shipping is what I'm really looking at. I don't mind paying more but shipping is the deal killer. Guess I will keep searching.

I haven't dealt with them personally, but every single thing I have heard about them is nothing but bad news.

I recently bought my front and rear bumper from them and I am very happy with both of them. The quality, fit and finish was excellent. The packaging they arrived in was very good as well. I have pulled several stuck or disabled Jeeps with my rear bumpers clevis attachment points (and in one case I was really pulling with allot of force) with out any damage.

I've heard and read nothing but bad about Rusty, his policies, and products for nearly 20 years now.

Same here. Forums, Facebook, anywhere I check. It's really quite amusing that his website has a FAQ listed as "I read something negative on a web forum, is it true?" If you feel the need to put that on your FAQ page, that's not a very good sign for your company, I wouldn't think.

I also find it amusing to read his Facebook page reviews. There are some good ones but the bad ones, he comments back at them pretty confrontational-like. I get that customers are stupid but I've seen plenty of complaints about his screw-ups and no motion to make it right on any of them. I'll continue staying away for sure.

It's really quite amusing that his website has a FAQ listed as "I read something negative on a web forum, is it true?" If you feel the need to put that on your FAQ page, that's not a very good sign for your company, I wouldn't think.

I agree. When you've got that as an FAQ on your own website, I would say that's not a good thing!

Reactions: StG58 and Brantley
They are a stepping stone to better stuff for first-timers just like Rough Country.

SOME of their stuff is "decent" like their coil springs and some of their skid plates. I ran their 3" HD springs on my XJ and they were the only spring that held their advertised height (with winch and winch plate) and did not rust in the years of use. The skid plate also did the job it was intended for and it met alot of tree stumps and rocks out in the woods but I really hated the name attached to it.

PIC-0039.jpg

They are a stepping stone to better stuff for first-timers just like Rough Country.

SOME of their stuff is "decent" like their coil springs and some of their skid plates. I ran their 3" HD springs on my XJ and they were the only spring that held their advertised height (with winch and winch plate) and did not rust in the years of use. The skid plate also did the job it was intended for and it met alot of tree stumps and rocks out in the woods but I really hated the name attached to it.

View attachment 10911

Ha, yeah... That name on the skid plate looks ugly.

I get what you're saying, they're an entry level stepping stone. Of course when you end up having gone that route (like I have with other parts), you get wise enough to realize you'd have been better off saving your money and just getting the top notch stuff right out of the gate.

Unfortunately when you try to convey that message to new Jeep owners, they don't listen (which I get), haha.

As a jeeper who's still in build, but far enough in to regret cheap parts, I understand why companies like Rusty's are still around. I'd like to spend more on better parts up front, but the jeep breaks faster than checks come in. So I'm still going cheap. Hopefully some day, I'll have enough OEM parts swapped out that I can start upgrading low end aftermarket parts.

That being said comparing lower control arms, core seems comparably proceed to Rusty's. Wish I'd have known.