RV Type GPS

Wildman

Over Analyzer Extraordinaire...............
Staff Member
Supporting Member
For those who have a larger Class C or Class A or even a larger truck camper do you have a certain GPS you've found that you liked better than others?
Garmin makes one that is geared towards RV/Truckers as it has bridge heights and size restrictions in the software.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SNWKQ3T/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Or if you want to spend the big bucks Kenwood makes a in-dash radio with the Garmin software in it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7Y6MPW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Just curious if any of you have found something better or what you all use.

I have the Kenwood in dash GPS head unit in the F250, I absolutely love it. The down side is you can't buy Lifetime map updates for it like you can for the stand alone units
It is a lot easier to read than the stand alone garmin I have in the LJ
20220618_120215.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: RINC and Wildman
I have the Kenwood in dash GPS head unit in the F250, I absolutely love it. The down side is you can't buy Lifetime map updates for it like you can foe the stand alone units
View attachment 347035

Why’d you drive to my house?

I have the Kenwood in dash GPS head unit in the F250, I absolutely love it. The down side is you can't buy Lifetime map updates for it like you can for the stand alone units
View attachment 347035

I cant believe my Jeep Trail guide still works and updates! Mind you I need +4 reading glasses to see the bloody thing! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman and RINC
did you post this to a FB trucker page or RV site? might get a lot more there. couple guys at work i can ask.

my garmin gps is like 15yrs old and never had an update...the dam thing was 99$ and they wanted 139 to update it 10yrs ago last i looked.

did you post this to a FB trucker page or RV site? might get a lot more there. couple guys at work i can ask.

my garmin gps is like 15yrs old and never had an update...the dam thing was 99$ and they wanted 139 to update it 10yrs ago last i looked.

Yep I have. I've gotten mixed reviews on the Kenwood stereo and a lot more who like the Garmin GPS especially the 10" screen model. I'm leaning more towards it and a floating screen type stereo for the motorhome. But I figured I'd ask here too just in case some had tried either or something different.
I've had 3-4 different Garmin GPS units. I had one made for my motorcycle and then two that I've swapped between rigs but they were all the smaller units.

Read the reviews. I saw a lot of bad reviews for truck/RV GPS's. I decided to keep my regular Garmin.
The bad reviews were primarily because of route selection.

Reactions: Wildman
Read the reviews. I saw a lot of bad reviews for truck/RV GPS's. I decided to keep my regular Garmin.
The bad reviews were primarily because of route selection.

Yes, it's why I haven't bought anything yet. Might not go with Garmin this time around either.

On some of the newer ones you can check what roads to avoid. The Nav I had in my Ram I'd forgotten to check the avoid unpaved roads and it screwed me up a few times.

Correct. The last couple of Garmins I bought (mine, wife's car and work car), I could select avoid toll roads. Every time I go to my FIL's, my Garmin states toll roads are involved, and asks if I want to avoid.

In addition to avoiding toll roads, I also select quickest route and not shortest. The last Garmin I bought was for my work car. I loaded in my site locations as custom POI's. After 20 years of visiting the same sites, I was surprised that the Garmin had me go different routes. I also discovered that in addition to forestry roads, there are many township roads in PA that are not paved. I wish I had my Jeep for some of the routes Garmin had me travel. My Ford Fusion doesn't have the same ground clearance.

Reactions: Wildman