Safe RPM for longer (150 mile), freeway trips

What kind of gen sets are you guys running? Every one Ive been around in the municipal backup systems typically run at 1800 rpm for 60HZ. Those being Cat,Cummins or Generac's, all diesels of course.
Been around Generators for a long time. 3600RPM for small Gasoline Generators typically under 5000 watts. 1800RPM for Diesel Drives. Diesel Gensets don’t like to run unloaded for long periods of time.

Reactions: R49
Been around Generators for a long time. 3600RPM for small Gasoline Generators typically under 5000 watts. 1800RPM for Diesel Drives. Diesel Gensets don’t like to run unloaded for long periods of time.
My thoughts exactly, this is what I do for a living. Only small cheap gensets run at 3600rpm. Most large iron engines are past redline at 3600rpm. Had a 16.0L Mitsubishi hit 4300rpm once on a runaway situation and it took about 45 seconds to chuck a rod through the side of the block.

Reactions: ColoJeep
1.5 MW V-16 Cummins currently making 1040KW
Note rpm lower right and those are actual engine hours. Oh and it’s burning 75 gallons/hour
3D3AC948-96C7-4867-8F97-EEB258C7C5CD.jpeg

Last edited:
What kind of gen sets are you guys running? Every one Ive been around in the municipal backup systems typically run at 1800 rpm for 60HZ. Those being Cat,Cummins or Generac's, all diesels of course.
You're right, even the old Ford six generators I was thinking about run at 1800 rpm. Makes you wonder about the high RPM longevity and economy thing?

19k psi at the fuel rail...These engines especially common rail are insane. That would blow a hole through anything in it's way.
Yeah it’s insane psi. We’re on care and maintenance at the job site right now so it usually only runs around 350 kw. I put it on the load bank every couple of days to give it some exercise.

Reactions: John Cooper
Most large generators run at 3600RPM their whole life and that's considered low rpm for an internal combustion engine as far as I know. 3K all day wouldn't bother me one bit, not just extended periods on the highway, years all day long.
Although I totally agree with you on running a 4.0 all day long at 3000 rpm.
I am throwing the bullshit flag on LARGE generators running at 3600 RPM.
Large generators are Typically liquid cooled diesels that use 4 pole generators and operate at 1800 RPM.
Small air cooled generators and home standby generators, (think Generac ) use 2 pole generators and operate at 3600 rpm.
This is the way industrial generation works !