Sagging Tailgate

techjeeper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Is this much sag from worn hinges? Body tube infrastructure failing? Just bad alignment? Bad Striker location? When I got the jeep it had no spare tire mount or spare so I figure they didn’t have or if they did it was on a tire carrier. Any how, all I have on it is a 31x10.50r15 on an alloy wheel. It’s the biggest I will put on the tailgate. I’m still working on figuring out a good spacer for the rubber tire bumpers. The mount I bought is a Hyline Offroad and third brake light. I sort of wish I’d just gotten a stock setup but it is what it is now.

I tried lifting the gate with a Jack and board to see if there was slack in the hinges but it really didn’t seem like it so I’m not sure what the problem is. I was going to loosen the bolts through the hinge into the tailgate and try to adjust it up but those bolts are stuuuuuck… Going to try and find an impact driver and try again.

IMG_1666.jpeg

IMG_1658.jpeg

IMG_1722.jpeg

IMG_1723.jpeg

IMG_1724.jpeg

The hinges are most likely fine..the weight of the spare is the likely culprit. There is a large amount of adjustment there. You need to get those screws loose and some carefully placed heat will be your friend.

Does your tailgate open and close normally or does the misalignment cause issues? That doesn’t look that far off to me and if it still works I would leave it unless you are prepared to drill out some torx screws and replace some hinges. At that point it would make sense to upgrade to a tailgate reinforcement kit or hinges so there is quite a bit that you might be getting into.

Does your tailgate open and close normally or does the misalignment cause issues? That doesn’t look that far off to me and if it still works I would leave it unless you are prepared to drill out some torx screws and replace some hinges. At that point it would make sense to upgrade to a tailgate reinforcement kit or hinges so there is quite a bit that you might be getting into.

This is precisely why I stopped trying to get bolts out so far. The bottom left corner sits on the tub in the tailgate opening. The striker has been heavily worn as well. It’s all definitely seen better days but it will still shut and latch ok. It rattles where it’s touching pretty bad.

The hinges are most likely fine..the weight of the spare is the likely culprit. There is a large amount of adjustment there. You need to get those screws loose and some carefully placed heat will be your friend.

This^ - especially the heat part.

Look at the body lines..granted I am an ex body shop guy and this stuff sticks out like a sore thumb.

He really needs to adjust the gate and replace the striker since it's worn.

Reactions: LONGJP2
Look at the body lines..granted I am an ex body shop guy and this stuff sticks out like a sore thumb.

He really needs to adjust the gate and replace the striker since it's worn.

I added more pics of the gaps to the first post.

You are answering you own question. as has already been stated, the gate is out of alignment - the reason is not necessarily material. Either align it by looseing the hinge bolts as necessary, or live with it.

I’m just making sure I am not missing something before delving into potentially destroying those bolts trying to remove them.

Last edited:
Reactions: NashvilleTJ