Sahara 10,000$ or rubicon 13,000$

• Sahara

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Rubicon

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’ve got a 2004 Rubicon and it’s a great Jeep. That not a lot of miles on that either for a 2004. I think you would like it. And if you decide to sale it. It will bring more money than Sahara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rubirob
It's a 2004, both the Sahara and the rubicon are. They also both have 113,000 (114,000 for Sahara) miles. With that being said I didn't know if the rubicon was worth the extra 3500..

The resale on a Rubicon will always be at a premium, plus, if the Sahara has the Dana 35 rear differential, which it most likely does, it would cost you thousands to make the Sahara's drive train as capable as the Rubicon's.

Thanks for all the inputs guys, I am now definitely leaning towards the rubicon. I am in college and working full time, so as I said before I'm not opposed to doing work too the jeep in the years to come. However as for right now I would prefer to just enjoy it with less "building" effort haha. So what's up with the oil leaks? Any specific areas that tend to leak? Like I said I got a older 90 Cherokee with the same engine and it has 220,000 and has never leaked

You have an 80% chance of dealing with a rear main seal issue at some point. There is a 50/50 chance it will be confused with a valve cover leak. Pinion seals at both ends are likely to be an issue about 10% of the time. And if you smack the diffs into rocks, you have a high likelihood of a cover leak.

You have an 80% chance of dealing with a rear main seal issue at some point. There is a 50/50 chance it will be confused with a valve cover leak. Pinion seals at both ends are likely to be an issue about 10% of the time. And if you smack the diffs into rocks, you have a high likelihood of a cover leak.

Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye out for these. [emoji106]

db8aeb019101aa4f756490d529c86d07.jpg

dafc389f36af00b2fbc6f4e0f9dfa662.jpg
0e7db4fde056fea42923e75cc6b20077.jpg
cf05a89af6526832d8e8eb8bce9819c1.jpg
973e7b2c957e67267b180bb2d7978c07.jpg
072938be681ff9815d623ebc919ea0cb.jpg
ad02dd902e1039dd5bc3c9aa0131ea51.jpg
fe7491489998888920448f420c09df5a.jpg
e140b3ef62005ea18877023c14a5bc41.jpg

Here are the photos of it, there is some rust for sure. What do you guys think? The engine bay looks clean, inside of jeep was very clean. Body and under carpet looked fine with no rust.. but under the jeep I could see rust on bolts and these parts. Opinions?

That rust isn’t horrible. If you don’t mind cleaning it up a bit on the underside, it would be worth it. Could you find one with NO rust? Yes, of course you could. However, for one with no rust you’d have to travel to a state like California or somewhere in the Southwest, and you’d have to spend around 20k or more.

Reactions: CodaMan
thanks Chris, I do live in California btw lol. So I am guessing this jeep has seen some time in the sierras.. I wouldn't mind cleaning it up as long as it's not a hopeless case. Is there a thread listing ways of really cleaning it up? Or are we talking wire brush and some good rust-proof paint?

Reactions: Starrs
I see the usual surface rust you'll always see on TJs - driveshafts, axles, diff covers. Most of what I can see looks pretty good, although there are not many photos of the frame itself that I can see.

What is your assessment of the frame condition, and were you able to negotiate any on the price?

Yea I didn't take many of the frame because I didn't see any there. I lifted the carpet on the drivers side and absolutely no rust there. Pics show where there is rust.

We kinda talked about it.. 10,000 is too low for him and 14,000 is too high for me but we figured we could find a good in between if I decide to pull the trigger

It looks like surface rust that can be cleaned up with a little elbow grease. As far as a clean engine bay, that's really easy to make look like that.

I would say buy it, but I like spending other people's money :)

It looks like surface rust that can be cleaned up with a little elbow grease. As far as a clean engine bay, that's really easy to make look like that.

I would say buy it, but I like spending other people's money :)

Haha yea he told me he had the bay detailed.. he was a very honest guy! I definitely liked it, drove well! No shifting issues

If you meet somewhere in the middle of $10k & $14k, that would be an excellent buy, based on what I can see. I've seen a lot of Rubicons with a lot more miles, and in worse condition, going for $16k+ for a perspective...

If you meet somewhere in the middle of $10k & $14k, that would be an excellent buy, based on what I can see. I've seen a lot of Rubicons with a lot more miles, and in worse condition, going for $16k+ for a perspective...

I really appreciate the perspective, I have a general idea of how much they go for but this literally is my first rodeo haha. Reading your comment helps me be reassured about prices when we negotiate [emoji106]