Salt on the roads

mxz800

Instigator
Supporting Member
We haven't had to snowblow the driveway in weeks. This is what the roads look like near my house.

IMG_20210126_144156264.jpg

The white pile is salt you see, so is the other white spots. People wonder why I'm anal about keeping my Jeep protected from rust.

• Angry
Reactions: Rick Flair and D M
I DD mine now and religiously fluid film it. Fortunately, winter hasn’t been bad here in southern NJ.

Never mind the liquid magnesium chloride cocktail that Massachusetts sprays on the road before the storm and on the salt just before it is spread on the road, I’m sure other states around New England use it also.

Reactions: cliffish
our city does the same thing...............piles of salt laying all over the roads.
the problem around here is about as stupid as it gets, if they don't need that much salt they won't get the budget for it.........so they will waste it on clean roads to ensure it gets used up and next yrs salt budget stays the same.

the new brine solution is more corrosive and they waste it the same way.
what ever happened to the beet juice idea?

Reactions: cliffish
We have that same shit in CT. If it's a bit wet the night before they will salt the roads because people are idiots and don't drive for the conditions with their bald-ass tires. The other day I drove down my road and it was literally green they dumped so much salt. This is why my Jeep is parked until summer, it's just not worth ruining it as much as I really want to drive it.

Reactions: Cheetokps and chad
Never mind the liquid magnesium chloride cocktail that Massachusetts sprays on the road before the storm and on the salt just before it is spread on the road, I’m sure other states around New England use it also.

They started doing that here in PA. Trucks go around hosing down the roads the day before, and half the time it never snows anyway.

Few days ago it was supposed to snow, I went out and the roads were covered in that stuff. Drove into the grocery store parking lot and thought, oh, maybe it has been snowing a bit. The lot looked like it had a dusting of snow. Until I got out, yeah, that's salt.

It never did snow.

our city does the same thing...............piles of salt laying all over the roads.
the problem around here is about as stupid as it gets, if they don't need that much salt they won't get the budget for it.........so they will waste it on clean roads to ensure it gets used up and next yrs salt budget stays the same.

the new brine solution is more corrosive and they waste it the same way.
what ever happened to the beet juice idea?
Probably the same thing that happened to the leftovers from making beer that they used to use on the roads, they’re making methane out of it to power generators, which in turn power the brewery or farm.

This is why my jeep has been in its garage since October.
they use salt here like they are passing out Halloween candy to handicap kids
and we have found out the hard way that the above mentioned beet juice is more corrosive then salt
is to metal.
they use it on the streets here as well as putting it in tractor tires for ballast weight
and it eats through the rims after just a few years, faster then calcium did.
although imho anyone uses either one in a wheel without a tube gets what due them.

Swamp Yankee said:
They started doing that here in PA. Trucks go around hosing down the roads the day before, and half the time it never snows anyway.

Few days ago it was supposed to snow, I went out and the roads were covered in that stuff. Drove into the grocery store parking lot and thought, oh, maybe it has been snowing a bit. The lot looked like it had a dusting of snow. Until I got out, yeah, that's salt.

It never did snow.

Just to clarify, PA stopped spraying mag chloride several years ago. These days they're spraying liquid calcium chloride or sodium chloride. If I remember my HS chemistry, they're still in the salt family. There may be some "leftover" mag chloride in a few locations, but they're saving it for a special occasion. Supposedly it works better at lower temperatures than the other chlorides.

Talking to my PennDOT friends, mag chloride was very expensive and bought in liquid form. Since it was a liquid, transportation costs were an issue. Calcium and sodium chlorides are bought dry and they make it on site by adding water. The mag chloride also wreaked havoc on the back of the spray trucks. It was much worse than the calcium or sodium products.

The cost of spreading salt/anti skid mix has jumped dramatically in the past few years. Spraying "salt water" is much cheaper, and is becoming more common.

I've been told PA uses somewhere near 11 million tons of salt per year.

This is probably more than you wanted to know :)

The best part is that made the roads so much worse during last night's storm - pretreatment made the first layer of snow melt, then it refroze and kept snowing.

The non pretreated roads were actually far better to drive on.

Reactions: Swamp Yankee
The non pretreated roads were actually far better to drive on.

I agree. If I have to drive in bad weather, I prefer to drive on untreated two lanes vs the interstate. I'd rather end up in a ditch than pancaked by an 80,000# semi.

Reactions: Elyse8743
I DD mine now and religiously fluid film it. Fortunately, winter hasn’t been bad here in southern NJ.

My TJ was to be my winter beater, but I realized how nice it was with only 37,000 miles on it, so I use fluid film twice a year. Once in the fall and once in the Spring. No rust at all, but I coat the crap out of it. My mechanic hates me for it, but he is my buddy, so all is good. Damn messy stuff, but works like a charm.

Reactions: TWiG01
They brined for a potential snow storm on Monday. It was all rain. I just keep my Jeep in the garage until it's rained away. I also plan to install a hot water hose so I can rinse the frame anyway.

Reactions: Moon Eyes