Sanding faded fender flares

RAC02

TJ Enthusiast
What method is used to remove the paint off the fender flares? Sand paper? If so what grit? I am lost on the best way to restore them. I really don’t want them shiny on a old tj. I would prefer a bed liner style or mat finish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

What method is used to remove the paint off the fender flares? Sand paper? If so what grit? I am lost on the best way to restore them. I really don’t want them shiny on a old tj. I would prefer a bed liner style or mat finish. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve done a few sets using heavy duty red scotchbrite attached to a Velcro DA sander. Use water and some detergent too while roughing them up such as simple green or dawn. After they are rinsed and dried hit them with some adhesion promoter and then they’ll be ready to take whatever paint or bed liner suits your fancy.

Reactions: RAC02 and Irun
I’ve done a few sets using heavy duty red scotchbrite attached to a Velcro DA sander. Use water and some detergent too while roughing them up such as simple green or dawn. After they are rinsed and dried hit them with some adhesion promoter and then they’ll be ready to take whatever paint or bed liner suits your fancy.

Would 80 grit sandpaper be bad? Like damage the fender surface?

That will leave deep scratches that you will be able to see under the paint. If you use bedliner it won’t matter as much.

Ok , I did one fender with 80 grit. I I think I will do the rest with 180 then finish with 220. Then paint with headliner. I assume this would be the best option now. Do you agree?

Reactions: HornedToad
Ok , I did one fender with 80 grit. I I think I will do the rest with 180 then finish with 220. Then paint with headliner. I assume this would be the best option now. Do you agree?

That’s sounds like a good plan. Make sure to wash them well with soap and water after sanding.

Reactions: RAC02