Saving or Dismembering a 98 TJ

NJW

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
An impulse marketplace buy! another TJ - this time a 98 TJ that needs a frame, or at least substantial repair.

IMG_2222.jpeg

It has 268K miles on it.

But, the owner just put in a new 4.6L Golen stroker engine. Has less than 9000 on miles it. It was a one owner vehicle, and he has a binder of receipts for everything that’s ever been done to it. He spent over $15K in the last year alone on the engine and other things. Almost everything is new under the hood, runs great! Drove it an hour home with no issues, steering is tight and super peppy.

But the frame is needing to be addressed, at where the rear control arms mount. It’s been “repaired” before, about 4 years ago.

IMG_2226.jpeg

Do I try and do something like a MotoBilt back half? Find a good frame and swap it?
The tub is in surprisingly good shape. Who knows what I’ll find when I get rid of the Smittybilt armor though.

Between the rally hardtop, new Softop, the Warn winch, new tires, etc - plus the engine, it seemed like a no brainer at $2500 bucks for clean titled, running Wrangler.

Now I just need to figure out what direction to go. Leaning towards a frame swap, and bring it closer to stock for a DD around town.

Not sure what direction this will go quite yet.

IMG_2234.jpeg

IMG_2235.jpeg

Definitely seems like you could part out and make your money back. I just can't figure out the type of person that sinks that kind of money into a stroker and other upgrades when the frame is rusting out beneath it?

Definitely seems like you could part out and make your money back. I just can't figure out the type of person that sinks that kind of money into a stroker and other upgrades when the frame is rusting out beneath it?

The guy wanted to keep it forever because of memories with his son that passed. When he did all the work with the engine he thought the frame was good to go. He had paid a shop locally to repair it. He’s an older guy with lots of money, and decided to just buy a new one.

The guy wanted to keep it forever because of memories with his son that passed. When he did all the work with the engine he thought the frame was good to go. He had paid a shop locally to repair it. He’s an older guy with lots of money, and decided to just buy a new one.

In that case, shame on the original repairer, and I'll allow myself to believe (wrongly) that the shop that did the engine at least pointed out the frame issues.

I’ve been looking for a frame, but stumbled upon a pretty clean 01 TJ. Tub and Frame are spotless, and I can get it for cheaper than what the local yard is asking for just a frame. Drivetrain is fine as well, just high mileage.

It’s a 4.0 Auto -

How crazy would it be to swap the engine and transmissions between the two? Would I be able to just swap the computer, engine and transmissions? Obviously the clutch pedal and whatnot. Just wondering if there’s anything hindering between the ‘98 and ‘01. Goal is to get a DD on the cheap without the hassle of swapping the entire frame.

The questions you're asking would be answered better in the General Discussion area. This area if for those who are doing a build on their Jeep. If you want I can move this thread over to the General Discussion area for you. You can leave this thread here also if you want just trying to offer some help.

The questions you're asking would be answered better in the General Discussion area. This area if for those who are doing a build on their Jeep. If you want I can move this thread over to the General Discussion area for you. You can leave this thread here also if you want just trying to offer some help.

Gotcha. That makes more sense, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Reactions: Wildman