Savvy bumper winch mount

TRevs

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I installed the Savvy bumper with steel hoop a few years ago, and didn't get the winch mount. Well now I think I want to get a winch (sliding around in muddy trails last month got my attention) and I don't know what hardware I'll need to mount the winch to this bumper. I went to the new savvy site and don't see the same mounting plate/fairlead mount anymore.

Do winch manufacturers offer mounting plates that match the bolt pattern on this savvy bumper? Will my stock sway bar get in the way?

1717384945496.png

My strongest suspicion is that, since the winch bolts through both the fairlead mount and the bumper, the bolt pattern is the standard Warn pattern all fairlead mounts have.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
Good luck, I’m not aware of any winch plate/fairlead mount quite like the original Savvy one.

A birdie told me that the “new” Savvy bumper coming later this year will have a redesigned winch plate. Part of that redesign is that it will be made of steel.

Pretty sure you don't need a "winch plate" for that bumper. The plate that Savvy makes/made for that bumper was just to give you a place to mount your fairlead. I have one and would recommend it, but getting your hands on one now might prove difficult. But it's a popular bumper around here and I'm sure someone can offer you an alternative.

Pretty sure you don't need a "winch plate" for that bumper. The plate that Savvy makes/made for that bumper was just to give you a place to mount your fairlead. I have one and would recommend it, but getting your hands on one now might prove difficult. But it's a popular bumper around here and I'm sure someone can offer you an alternative.

From the pics I’ve seen, the Savvy fairlead mount incorporates a winch mount as well. Which strengthens the deck.

I don’t know whether the bumper skin alone is strong enough to withstand repeated winch pulls. Might be a good question for its designer.

From the pics I’ve seen, the Savvy fairlead mount incorporates a winch mount as well. Which strengthens the deck.

This was my question too, whether their mounting plate was actually necessary for reinforcement or not

This was my question too, whether their mounting plate was actually necessary for reinforcement or not

The back edge of your savvy bumper is curved upward to give it strength to resist flexing during a hard pull. The fairlead mount is just a piece of flat aluminum on the bottom side. Maybe that extra thickness was taken into account in the design, but I doubt it. But as others have said, it wouldn't hurt to ask. I think this piece was a @mrblaine design. He may be able to weigh in.

I haven’t; how do I contact him? I haven’t ordered anything from Savvy in 3+ years. Is he on this forum? Or go to the new Savvy site?

Nope, the fairlead mount also stiffens the winch deck portion of the bumper to create a unitized platform to resist the deflection that will destroy your winch if allowed to happen. The winch mount forms the other side of the box the winch needs to operate correctly. You could however, duplicate the function with a near full side to side front to back piece of 6061 T-6 in 3/16" or 1/4" if needed.

Another question for those who know before I move forward; the rearmost holes for mounting the winch onto the Savvy bumper are awfully close to the stock antisway bar. Is there enough clearance to mount a winch on this bumper and still use the stock antisway bar?

IMG_3180.jpeg