Savvy / Currie / ORO discount codes and parts questions

So as a former small business owner...I absolutely hate cash back credit cards.

Normally the CC processing costs you 3 percent of the purchase...but the cash back cards run you 5 to 6 percent.

When you're running a small business and all your expenses are up...gas...steel... labor...that extra percentage can really hurt.

Damn thing is that the vendor percentage for debit cards is 2 percent...but with all the hacking going on it's just not safe to use.

PCI compliance rules govern folks who take CCs. I occasionally point out mistakes vendors make...like reading back the CC number to me over the phone. Bzzt.

-Mac

Granted I've been out of this for a few years, but who does your card processing? When I took over my shop they were using Merchant Services. They charged a monthly fee on top of a percentage. Really added up when someone dropped a card to pay a $5k bill.
I switched to Square when they first came out. No monthly fee and a flat percentage on each transaction. This worked way better because some month nobody used a card, so I didn't have to pay anything.

Granted I've been out of this for a few years, but who does your card processing? When I took over my shop they were using Merchant Services. They charged a monthly fee on top of a percentage. Really added up when someone dropped a card to pay a $5k bill.
I switched to Square when they first came out. No monthly fee and a flat percentage on each transaction. This worked way better because some month nobody used a card, so I didn't have to pay anything.
I closed up my shop in 2013 - just as Square and some of the other new processors were coming on line. Good to see the rates are more fair...I'd like to see what happens when you start doing $20 to $30k a month in CC processing...if I recall correctly Square has a pretty steep curve.

-Mac

I closed up my shop in 2013 - just as Square and some of the other new processors were coming on line. Good to see the rates are more fair...I'd like to see what happens when you start doing $20 to $30k a month in CC processing...if I recall correctly Square has a pretty steep curve.

-Mac
Yeah, well, I closed my shop at the end of 2015, so that won't be happening. I think about $7k was the biggest card I ever processed, and when he asked if he could use a card I told him I added 3% for that. He was good with that, although anyone who would spend over $100k on a '66 Mustang probably has more money than he really needs.

Reactions: Irun