Savvy shifter adjustment

MountaineerTom

LJ Enthusiast, Retired USAF Weapons Loader
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I think I need to make a fine adjustment to my shifter cable. A short time after shifting out of 4 HI into 2 HI, I hear a little pop noise.

To make this fine adjustment, I should adjust the small nut near the transfer case end, correct? (Circled in red)

D3B45FE1-F6C7-4626-90BA-95CA5736F7DF.jpeg

I think I need to make a fine adjustment to my shifter cable. A short time after shifting out of 4 HI into 2 HI, I hear a little pop noise.

To make this fine adjustment, I should adjust the small nut near the transfer case end, correct? (Circled in red)

View attachment 285385
That adjusts the cable length. If you put the case and the shifter handle in the same mode and can remove and reinstall the clevis pin, then the cable length is correct.

That adjusts the cable length. If you put the case and the shifter handle in the same mode and can remove and reinstall the clevis pin, then the cable length is correct.
Perfect way of putting it.

I’ve had the best luck going to four low And having the shifter all the way up less 1/4 “ or so - Maybe works just as good as the other way around starting at the bottom I haven’t ever tried it.

I love that product.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom
Thank you.

When I installed it a few months ago, I had the case and the shifter handle both in 2HI and didn’t notice any problems. It still shifts in and out of 2HI and 4HI easily. I just started hearing this light pop a couple days ago. Maybe it’s unrelated, but I’ll check it out when I get it back home.

That happens on mine, it doesn't let go until the bind is gone, I think it's normal.
Hmmm. I wonder if it’s been doing it all along and I just didn’t notice the noise until the other day?

Perfect way of putting it.

I’ve had the best luck going to four low And having the shifter all the way up less 1/4 “ or so - Maybe works just as good as the other way around starting at the bottom I haven’t ever tried it.

I love that product.
Once the cable length is adjusted so that the ends can be popped off and back on without the t-case lever moving, then the throw is adjusted by moving the cable housing in the brackets. We set them up so there is no bind at either end of the travel and there is the same amount of slack at the end of the gates. That is roughly 1/4" of movement or so as in you can push the t-case lever about 1/4" forward from its resting position in 2 hi and then the same at the other end in 4 low.

Once the cable length is adjusted so that the ends can be popped off and back on without the t-case lever moving, then the throw is adjusted by moving the cable housing in the brackets. We set them up so there is no bind at either end of the travel and there is the same amount of slack at the end of the gates. That is roughly 1/4" of movement or so as in you can push the t-case lever about 1/4" forward from its resting position in 2 hi and then the same at the other end in 4 low.
Thanks, I think I’m tracking you on length vs throw adjustment and the slack- those cable nuts are a pain, seems i cut a wrench off to adjust them. I need more experience with the set up of those to help my buddies here.