SBC swap question

KCsTJ

TJ student
Supporting Member
Found a SBC L33 to swap into my 97 TJ.
I want to marry the v8 to a 4l60 tranny.
Has anyone tried to fit a 4l60 with GM 4x4 transfer case into a TJ?
Found a good deal on the 4l60 and wonder if it fits without major driveline vibrations?

Reactions: JMT
Have you read up on Novak's website? http://www.novak-adapt.com

They have the V8 swap bible right there on their website, which will likely have a lot of useful info if you're serious about the swap.
I have @Chris . That is a great resource for engine and transmission conversions.
However I couldn't find if the 4l60 with 4x4 transfer case is too long for a TJ swap.
I have a L33 v8, don't want the 4l60 with the GM 4x4 transfer case if the length is going to cause major driveline problems.

Reactions: Chris and JMT
I have @Chris . That is a great resource for engine and transmission conversions.
However I couldn't find if the 4l60 with 4x4 transfer case is too long for a TJ swap.
I have a L33 v8, don't want the 4l60 with the GM 4x4 transfer case if the length is going to cause major driveline problems.
The 4L60 trans will work. I have only seen folks run older GM style (N0205) transfer cases. And it was work. I’m not sure if any newer cases from GM work. Wouldn't care to find out. Use the 231.

If you get an adapter from Advanced Adapters or Novak you can run your NP231 factory transfer case. Or swap to an Atlas if you are worried about the factory one coming apart under the new power.

Congrats on the all aluminum 5.3. Its a great upgrade over the heavier and much less powerful 4.0.

Reactions: JMT and KCsTJ
The 4L60 trans will work. I have only seen folks run older GM style (N0205) transfer cases. And it was work. I’m not sure if any newer cases from GM work. Wouldn't care to find out. Use the 231.

If you get an adapter from Advanced Adapters or Novak you can run your NP231 factory transfer case. Or swap to an Atlas if you are worried about the factory one coming apart under the new power.

Congrats on the all aluminum 5.3. Its a great upgrade over the heavier and much less powerful 4.0.
Good to know @Fouledplugs . I'll not mess with the GM transfer case, so I'll keep the 231.
The 4l60 is probably the way I'll go, they are plentiful down here.
As an update the L33 v8 will swap into the 97 white 2.5L tj.
I'll keep the 4.0L in the 05 Sport as is, it runs like a champ.
That L33 v8 engine will hit my garage next Friday and ill have pics. 👍🤙

Good to know @Fouledplugs . I'll not mess with the GM transfer case, so I'll keep the 231.
The 4l60 is probably the way I'll go, they are plentiful down here.
As an update the L33 v8 will swap into the 97 white 2.5L tj.
I'll keep the 4.0L in the 05 Sport as is, it runs like a champ.
That L33 v8 engine will hit my garage next Friday and ill have pics. 👍🤙
Keep us updated! Cant wait to see some progress!

Reactions: KCsTJ
Why not run the 241? It's a stronger t-case for sure.

Personally, I would run a 4L80, but keep the 5.3 mild and the 60 can work. They are more expensive than the 4L80, because the Tahoe guys are always looking for them to replace their blown up trannies. :D

And BTW, the Advance Adapters adapter is long, either an OEM or copy of an OEM. I run the Novak, it's like 1.5 inch long.

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris

Personally, I would run a 4L80, but keep the 5.3 mild and the 60 can work. They are more expensive than the 4L80, because the Tahoe guys are always looking for them to replace their blown up trannies. :D

And BTW, the Advance Adapters adapter is long, either an OEM or copy of an OEM. I run the Novak, it's like 1.5 inch long.
Thanks @pcoplin didn't know that about the Novak adapter, I'll check that.
I assumed the 241 TC is in high demand and hard to find maybe?
If i was made of money id get the Atlas TC but ugh, I have a budget 😩
The 4l80 is 3 inches longer than the 4l60 so for that reason going with the 4160 at least for now

Last edited:
Thanks @pcoplin didn't know that about the Novak adapter, I'll check that.
I assumed the 241 TC is in high demand and hard to find maybe?
If i was made of money id get the Atlas TC but ugh, I have a budget 😩
The 4l80 is 3 inches longer than the 4l60 so for that reason going with the 4160 at least for now
The 241 is going to to be much more expensive and harder to find. But a great xcase nonetheless.

Also believe the 4L80 is a lot bigger around than the 4L60.
@pcoplin any issues with TJ/LJ tunnel fitment when swapping in the 4L80?

The 241 is going to to be much more expensive and harder to find. But a great xcase nonetheless.

Also believe the 4L80 is a lot bigger around than the 4L60.
@pcoplin any issues with TJ/LJ tunnel fitment when swapping in the 4L80?
Thanks, that was also a concern, the girth of the 4l80. It is longer, weighs more also but is beefier so it can handle more HP.
@pcoplin do you know if the 4l80 will fit in the tunnel?
I am planning a 1 inch BL to give me more working room.

Thanks, that was also a concern, the girth of the 4l80. It is longer, weighs more also but is beefier so it can handle more HP.
@pcoplin do you know if the 4l80 will fit in the tunnel?
I am planning a 1 inch BL to give me more working room.
Yes, it fits the tunnel. I run a 400 and a couple buddies run the 4 l 80.

Thank you, appreciate the info!