School me on camping trailers

WLDRIDE

WLDRIDE
Supporting Member
This morning I was dreaming about towing a little pop-up camper with my TJ so that I can go boondocking and wheeling in Utah and Arizona. Is there anything that my 2003, 4.0, auto trans can reasonably tow (everything stock)? Keep in mind that I have to go up and over 7% grades (highway driving) to get out of the high mountain valley I live in.

This morning I was dreaming about towing a little pop-up camper with my TJ so that I can go boondocking and wheeling in Utah and Arizona. Is there anything that my 2003, 4.0, auto trans can reasonably tow (everything stock)? Keep in mind that I have to go up and over 7% grades (highway driving) to get out of the high mountain valley I live in.
You may have to regear it to 4:10 to get it where it is more ideal but there are quite a few light weight pop up camp trailers out there now. Not cheap but you are paying for "adds lightness". ;)

You could pick up on old military Jeep trailer and fix it up. Carry a tent in it or put a roof top tent on the trailer.
I've towed my set up all over the place.
IMG_20180721_150201752.jpg
IMG_20180724_121101617.jpg

You may have to regear it to 4:10 to get it where it is more ideal but there are quite a few light weight pop up camp trailers out there now. Not cheap but you are paying for "adds lightness". ;)
If I stay at 3.73:1, what are my reasonable weight limits? Trailer weight and tongue weight?

I tow a lifted 78' Coleman with my LJ w/4.56s NSG370. Had no issues towing it with my LJ and my 97TJ (before LJ). The trailer is about 1200-1300lbs loaded and no trailer brakes. Towed great, on big hills you definitely had to gear down. Lower gearing may have helped. I now have an LS motor and.....well I barely feel it there now :)

tentrailer2.jpg

trailer.jpg

I tow a lifted 78' Coleman with my LJ w/4.56s NSG370. Had no issues towing it with my LJ and my 97TJ (before LJ). The trailer is about 1200-1300lbs loaded and no trailer brakes. Towed great, on big hills you definitely had to gear down. Lower gearing may have helped. I now have an LS motor and.....well I barely feel it there now :)

View attachment 129839

View attachment 129841
So if I understand you correctly, you had no issues towing a 1200 pound trailer with your '97 TJ? Was it the 4.0 engine? Did you have an automatic transmission?

So if I understand you correctly, you had no issues towing a 1200 pound trailer with your '97 TJ? Was it the 4.0 engine? Did you have an automatic transmission?
No issues at all. My 97TJ had the AX15 w/4.88 gearing and 36" tires. IF you have an AUTO. You will most likely need to re-gear unless you are bone stock on stock tires, you might get away with it

11822557_10156012562580226_7866531512765011631_n.jpg

Reactions: Head Lice
Hmmmm. I am running 31" tires.
I mean if you are set on a camp trailer, I would look at a lightweight (800lbs) 8ft tent trailer. Gut everything inside you don't need ( I removed one long cabinet, sink and pump) which will lighten the load even more. I try and pack a cooler at the front of the trailer and my propane tank and battery on the tongue. Gives me a good tongue weight.

I would try to tow it with your current setup. If you find it is a struggle on hills etc...regear.

View attachment 129841
Sitting in the ferry line-up . . . . . :cool:

If I stay at 3.73:1, what are my reasonable weight limits? Trailer weight and tongue weight?
I have 4.10s, no need for it.I'd prefer 3.73s and I tow 2000# in the mountains daily. About 8000 miles a year.
2000# is all you can legally tow. My work trailer is all of that, my camper is closer to 1500#. 2000# is a full load, I'd say aim for 1500# or less. You will be in 2nd often with the auto and never use the OD. But 1st, 2nd, 3rd will be perfect. IF you find you are struggling to get started from a stop, regear to 4.10 or 4.56. But if you have enough lift from a stop.... stick with the 3.73s. AND you can always use 4LO with the Sport if you are on gravel or ????

31s,

I built my camper but an old tent trailer is a great, cheap place to start.
DSCN1483.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Head Lice
I have 4.10s, no need for it.I'd prefer 3.73s and I tow 2000# in the mountains daily. About 8000 miles a year.
2000# is all you can legally tow. My work trailer is all of that, my camper is closer to 1500#. 2000# is a full load, I'd say aim for 1500# or less. You will be in 2nd often with the auto and never use the OD. But 1st, 2nd, 3rd will be perfect. IF you find you are struggling to get started from a stop, regear to 4.10 or 4.56. But if you have enough lift from a stop.... stick with the 3.73s. AND you can always use 4LO with the Sport if you are on gravel or ????

31s,

I built my camper but an old tent trailer is a great, cheap place to start.
View attachment 129868
Thank you, that's really helpful info. Just what I was looking for.

BTW, I think I said this in another post, but I really like your tires and wheels. Are those 16" wheels and 7.50 wide tires?

I have a love/hate relationship with our 2010 Viking 1906 pop up. My LJ with the 4.0 and 6 speed has towed it from Illannoy to Maine several times. There’s just a lot of stirring of the gearbox in the mountains of Vermont. YMMV with the auto.
As far as the trailer goes, be aware that the pop ups are at the bottom of the gene pool. Kind of an “If we must” from the manufacturer. Construction is sort of scary looking and wiring is an eye popper. Double and triple check the gas lines. Our almost went up in flames on the first use.
Due to some rot, ours is getting gutted next year and redone. Bye bye galley and heater. Might keep the fridge.