School Me On Insuring My TJ

I’ll second Hagarty. I have mine insured with full coverage and as a non daily driver. Keep receipts for everything and pics. I had a K10 stolen in ‘98 and book value was $3800. They gave me a market value and I walked away with $13500. Still lost about $10k but it could have been much worse.

You have Hagerty for your TJ? I have been using them for a little over a decade for my other cars, but when I called them to add the Jeep they told me that there were no provisions to cover any incidents that occurred "off-road". I got into the weeds with them over the definition of "off-road" and it seemed very vague, so I dropped it and just went with a normal carrier so I can wheel and still be insured. Is that not the case with your Hagerty policy? If so I need to call them back

You have Hagerty for your TJ? I have been using them for a little over a decade for my other cars, but when I called them to add the Jeep they told me that there were no provisions to cover any incidents that occurred "off-road". I got into the weeds with them over the definition of "off-road" and it seemed very vague, so I dropped it and just went with a normal carrier so I can wheel and still be insured. Is that not the case with your Hagerty policy? If so I need to call them back

I have my Jeep with Hagerty and the policy has no coverage off-road. I also have a Dodge Charger SRT for a daily driver on an Allstate policy and I take it to both the drag strip and road courses pretty regularly. Allstate specifically states no coverage at a racetrack. Most people who go to the track will have "track day" coverage through a specialty policy. I think most policys only provide coverage for accidents that happen on "traditional" roadways. Allstate has a specific "Off-Road vehicle" coverage if you ask for it. I think most other providers will too. You can insure anything, but you have to ask and you have to pay.

Reactions: reddvltj
I have a claimed value policy. You have to have receipts to prove it and I should probably up my value. It’s currently set at $30k. A friend just got rear ended And shoved off an embankment with the same type policy and agent. He had his for $20k. He got the full value minus the deductible and got to keep the Jeep.
So do I want to ask my insurance agent about a "claimed value policy?"

Reactions: Rescue6
I have my Jeep with Hagerty and the policy has no coverage off-road. I also have a Dodge Charger SRT for a daily driver on an Allstate policy and I take it to both the drag strip and road courses pretty regularly. Allstate specifically states no coverage at a racetrack. Most people who go to the track will have "track day" coverage through a specialty policy. I think most policys only provide coverage for accidents that happen on "traditional" roadways. Allstate has a specific "Off-Road vehicle" coverage if you ask for it. I think most other providers will too. You can insure anything, but you have to ask and you have to pay.

Interesting. I got a flat out "no" when I asked Hagerty about that, so I use Geico instead.

If and when you are involved in an incident “Offroad” it is always best if it happens to be on a “county road or a FS road” not a numbered or named trail. At least that’s what needs to be stated in a report. Those are not considered off-road driving. Just saying.

Reactions: Nimbley
If and when you are involved in an incident “Offroad” it is always best if it happens to be on a “county road or a FS road” not a numbered or named trail. At least that’s what needs to be stated in a report. Those are not considered off-road driving. Just saying.

Kind of like there are lots of accidents on the streets surrounding your local racetrack.

Reactions: qslim and Rescue6
Since I have purchased one of my Jeeps new off the lot twenty years ago this year. I have two huge files worth of receipts and records from over the years for most everything. Having payed zero for labor since I do all of it myself. Ive got way too much invested in this damn thing. Rock jock 60 rear axle, Core 44 front axle atlas 4 speed transfer case, gen right tank and rear stretch 4 link suspension and RE long arm front, fox remote res shocks, ACOS, full gen right armor and fenders, cage, PRP seats, PSC steering, Bumpers, winch, beadlocks etc, alarm system, gps tracking system, and two ignition cut of systems and the list goes on and on and on and on. If I were to add it all up I’m well over 30k in just aftermarket upgrades. And thats without labor charges. Not to mention the original cost of the damn Jeep. So having a policy that will actually allow you peace of mind when and if it’s stolen or wrecked just makes since. After writing this I’ll probably call and up the value actually. It is not much more a year than my normal full coverage was. Recently my good friends were hit from behind on a highway on the way home from wheeling just after we put a new roll bar upgrade in and were shoved off a 35-45 foot embankment and rolled. I have no problem saying God saved them but that new cage upgrade helped tremendously. They were lucky to have had it insured properly with a declared value policy For $20k and were cut a check for $19,500 minus the $500 deductible a few days later after providing receipts. They got to keep the Jeep as well. The insurance adjuster came up with $31k is what it would cost to replace it based on receipts and labor etc. and said they were under insured. This was a 2000 wrangler sport. No way they would have gotten that with a standard policy. Just food for thought.

C3759774-EFF3-4261-A41E-16972F377ED5.jpeg

Since I have purchased one of my Jeeps new off the lot twenty years ago this year. I have two huge files worth of receipts and records from over the years for most everything. Having payed zero for labor since I do all of it myself. Ive got way too much invested in this damn thing. Rock jock 60 rear axle, Core 44 front axle atlas 4 speed transfer case, gen right tank and rear stretch 4 link suspension and RE long arm front, fox remote res shocks, ACOS, full gen right armor and fenders, cage, PRP seats, PSC steering, Bumpers, winch, beadlocks etc, alarm system, gps tracking system, and two ignition cut of systems and the list goes on and on and on and on. If I were to add it all up I’m well over 30k in just aftermarket upgrades. And thats without labor charges. Not to mention the original cost of the damn Jeep. So having a policy that will actually allow you peace of mind when and if it’s stolen or wrecked just makes since. After writing this I’ll probably call and up the value actually. It is not much more a year than my normal full coverage was. Recently my good friends were hit from behind on a highway on the way home from wheeling just after we put a new roll bar upgrade in and were shoved off a 35-45 foot embankment and rolled. I have no problem saying God saved them but that new cage upgrade helped tremendously. They were lucky to have had it insured properly with a declared value policy For $20k and were cut a check for $19,500 minus the $500 deductible a few days later after providing receipts. They got to keep the Jeep as well. The insurance adjuster came up with $31k is what it would cost to replace it based on receipts and labor etc. and said they were under insured. This was a 2000 wrangler sport. No way they would have gotten that with a standard policy. Just food for thought.

View attachment 129575
I just stopped in on my Farmer's Insurance agent to discuss this. He can sell me a policy through Hagerty and is going to get me a quote.

I just stopped in on my Farmer's Insurance agent to discuss this. He can sell me a policy through Hagerty and is going to get me a quote.
Some of the policies through places like Hagerty for collector vehicles etc. have special rules like you must be a member of a car club and must be kept in a garage and only driven x # miles per years etc. so just make sure it’s all good.

That’s what I did. I got it through my Allstate agent. I had to take the Jeep in for him to look it over but I got a quote for a set amount and the only stipulations was it had to be kept in a garage when not in use and couldn’t be a daily driver. It’s not expensive as it’s insured as a recreation only vehicle. My K10 has the same coverage. I think they’re about $600 a year each.

As far as an agent can ever know damage on the Rubicon Trail happened either on Wentworth Springs or McKinney Rubicon Springs Road.

Just a tip to anybody that may have Geico, don't ask them about it. They told me they would absolutely upgrade my policy to cover any modifications, as long as they weren't performance or cosmetic mods. I told them to forget about it. Then 6 months later they started sending me letters asking for an itemized list of my modifications, which I ignored. Eventually they canceled my policy. I had been with them for 8 years, had a clean record with zero claims.

They still send me letters trying to get me to insure my Jeep through them on a weekly basis. Stupid company.

Last edited:
Just a tip to anybody that may have Geico, don't ask them about it. They told me they would absolutely upgrade my policy to cover any modifications, as long as they weren't performance or cosmetic mods. I told them to forget about it. Then 6 months later they started sending me letters asking for an itemized list of my modifications, which I ignored. Eventually they canceled my policy.

They still send me letters trying to get me to insure my Jeep through them on a weekly basis. Stupid company.
Sounds very familiar. I made the mistake of "Switching to Geico" just about 3 years ago to "Save Money"... Yep saved money for the first 3 months then rates went up and they blamed it on the amount of accidents that had been occurring in Idaho. I said ok it's not that bad, 3 month later they did it again now I was paying more than I had been with my previous insurance carrier. Fool me once... I switched back and Geico has been hounding me with emails and regular mail ever since.

Working at a boat dealership we worked on insurance claims all the time. Some companies are great to work with and others just plain suck. Geico is horrible, denying coverage for aftermarket stereos, any thing over and above the basic replacement of stock parts, took forever to make payment, etc.
We always had a great experience working with Progressive. They have an adjuster in town who can get the claims going quickly and often can approve things on the spot. We dealt with wrapped boats frequently and Progressive would even cover the vinyl wrap. Geico never would.

All that said, I'm with Safeco. We've only had one claim and it was paid quickly and they gave us the chance to buy the car back for a few hundred bucks. It just needed a new back door and some paint so it easily paid off for us. They have written claimed value policies for several of my rigs.....the Jeep, the boat and a hopped up golf cart. Pretty standard stuff from what I'm told.

Mine covers me on all numbered forest service trails or maintained roads. So if I ever get damage it will be on one of those. even if I have to drag it out to one of those roads. Hahaha

Mine covers me on all numbered forest service trails or maintained roads. So if I ever get damage it will be on one of those. even if I have to drag it out to one of those roads. Hahaha
I think that might be pretty standard If one is wheeling responsibly. Even the Rubicon trail is partially (all?) county roadway. If somebody was bajaing across the uncle Cletus' stump farm or an ORV park and crashed then admitted it they might have a problem. ;)

Contact an insurance broker and tell them exactly what you have and what you'd like to do. Get a broad collision deductible with a comprehensive amount that fits within your financial means. That'll cover everything.