Scraping metal sound

TJK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Recently started hearing a scraping metal sound that sounds like a wire brush scraping on sheet metal, its not a grinding sound, its very light but rhythmic like something spinning. It sounds like its coming from the transmission area. Any thoughts on what this could be?

I have a video but it won't upload, working on it.

I’m mostly deaf, so I’ll just ask if the pitch seems to be tied to RPMs or vehicle speed?

I am not sure if this is the infamous angry sparrows. I have heard of it but not experienced it, I believe it’s caused when the joint on the front drive shaft starts going bad and if not fixed can cause serious damage to the transfer case. I am just guessing though. Can you remove the front drive shaft and see if the sound goes away?

I am not sure if this is the infamous angry sparrows. I have heard of it but not experienced it, I believe it’s caused when the joint on the front drive shaft starts going bad and if not fixed can cause serious damage to the transfer case. I am just guessing though. Can you remove the front drive shaft and see if the sound goes away?

not able to do this unfortunately

You’re not able to disconnect the front drive shaft? Can you hire someone?

I’d do just the axle side. Wrap the U Joint caps so they don’t come off, and tie it up very secure. Very.

Then drive, sounds like you’ll know if that’s it right away

Well if it is the front driveshaft it'll remove itself eventually. =)

That might take a chunk of the transfer case with it.

Best have someone check it out. I know a couple of folks on Victoria Island in Sooke if that helps.

-Mac

Reactions: Tob
You’re not able to disconnect the front drive shaft? Can you hire someone?

I’d do just the axle side. Wrap the U Joint caps so they don’t come off, and tie it up very secure. Very.

Then drive, sounds like you’ll know if that’s it right away

I don't have the tools or space for that, well, maybe I do? I have no experience in mechanics, though I am curious about knowing. I don't have a garage, or even a driveway haha so just out on the street. what tools would I need?

I think I will be taking it to a local mechanic, luckily he's only a few blocks away.

I don't have the tools or space for that, well, maybe I do? I have no experience in mechanics, though I am curious about knowing. I don't have a garage, or even a driveway haha so just out on the street. what tools would I need?

I think I will be taking it to a local mechanic, luckily he's only a few blocks away.

A socket set is all you need.

I just pulled and reinstalled my engine, transmission and transfer case on my street

IMG_9775.jpeg

• USA Proud
Reactions: Tob and Apparition

8mm or 5/16 1/4 inch socket will do it. Unless you want to make it easier and support the transmission and drop the transfer case. Then you'll need a couple more sizes.

I frame and tub swapped my Jeep in a gravel driveway.

I rewired a 69 K20 in the snow in front of my apartment years ago and swapped the transfer case on that truck in front of my parents house on a busy street.

You can do it!

-Mac

Reactions: Tob and TJK
Assuming at this point that it is the driveshaft CV joint, which parts will I need to replace? I remember reading at some point about a Spicer double CV, is it just one part or a whole kit?