Seasonal Thermostat Changes?? pros and cons

209Wrangler

Supporting Member
I currently live in Central Cali, where this weekend alone the temp in my city is 112 tomorrow. Last month I was looking at thermostat replacements after seeing my temps rise above the 210 mark with the AC on.. My question is am I doing something wrong by doing a seasonal change out with a 160 or 180 Thermo during the 4-5 HOT months? Any advice is appreciated. Im in a 2000 Sport 4.0

A 195 degree thermostat is the only correct temperature thermostat to run in a TJ. Understand the thermostat only has two jobs... 1) to help the engine warm up faster and 2) set a minimum operating temperature in cold conditions. The PCM is programmed around a 195 degree thermostat. It does not and it cannot help an engine run any cooler in warm or hot conditions.

Jer
A 195 degree thermostat is the only correct temperature thermostat to run in a TJ. Understand the thermostat only has two jobs... 1) to help the engine warm up faster and 2) set a minimum operating temperature in cold conditions. The PCM is programmed around a 195 degree thermostat. It does not and it cannot help an engine run any cooler in warm or hot conditions.

Jerry what would you consider problematic operating temp with said 195 thermo? It has never overheated but I sure as hell get nervous seeing my temps at 215ish+ driving around town.

215 is not that high but are you running a Mopar or aftermarket radiator? Is the fan shroud fully intact and installed? Is the fan clutch in good condition? The fan should be spinnable by hand only when the engine is cold. When the engine is hot the fan should be very stiff and hard to spin by hand.

ok that gives me a lil piece of mind. can't say about the clutch stiffness at the moment, but recently installed an aftermarket radiator after I notice water droplets around the seams a few months back. Shroud is in place and fitment is secure . Tomorrow after running my errands I'll double check the clutch. I guess my last question regarding this topic would be this... what youre saying is that running a 160 thermo in extreme heat with the ac on will not produce any different results in final temp, just the amount of time it takes to reach that ? I swear im a car guy, but for some reason I was always assuming that would help to keep the heat down while at full heavy load operation

Thermostats have zero ability to help an engine run any cooler in warm or hot conditions.

ok I feel like a dummy now, but I wonder why they offer both other temps in thermos if there is no real purpose? My other experience with them was a decade ago or so with my v8 Camaro and had I higher hp rating than stock and had a lil better performance with the 160 thermo rather than the 180.

Reactions: Blondie70
ok I feel like a dummy now, but I wonder why they offer both other temps in thermos if there is no real purpose? My other experience with them was a decade ago or so with my v8 Camaro and had I higher hp rating than stock and had a lil better performance with the 160 thermo rather than the 180.

Don’t install any thermostat other than 195F. It can only damage the engine, cats etc. The idea is that the engine is designed to work at 195F to 210F, and the thermostat is supposed to make sure that temperature never goes under 195F.
You will get check engine light if the PCM detects that the engine cannot heat up to proper temperature.

There is a little bit of science behind this thermostat thing.
The thermostat is responsible for setting minimal steady state operation temperature.
If you put 160F degree thermostat, then it means that your engine will run at 160F degree if the weather is cold. Let’s say you put 160F in Alaska, your engine most likely will never run above 160F. That is the point of minimum operational temperature.
If you engine succeeds to reach 210F, this means that whether you put 160F thermostat, or even if you completely remove it, you still be at 210F degrees.

Maximum operating temperature is defined by quality of radiator, fan, fan clutch, water pump and the coolant, airflow obstructions and ambient air temperature. 215F is not too high temperature for 4.0. Ideally it should be between 195 and 210, but if you idle for a while with AC on, you will reach 225F and even 235F if any of the cooling components are not in ideal state.

Think about this. If your house thermostat is set to 70 but it's 85 inside, is your house gonna get cooler by lowering the thermostat to 60?

Car thermostat works the same way. All it does is set the temperature at which the cooling system "turns on". The rest is up to heat transfer, and it will find whatever operating temperature results in heat in=heat out.

ok that gives me a lil piece of mind. can't say about the clutch stiffness at the moment, but recently installed an aftermarket radiator after I notice water droplets around the seams a few months back. Shroud is in place and fitment is secure . Tomorrow after running my errands I'll double check the clutch. I guess my last question regarding this topic would be this... what youre saying is that running a 160 thermo in extreme heat with the ac on will not produce any different results in final temp, just the amount of time it takes to reach that ? I swear im a car guy, but for some reason I was always assuming that would help to keep the heat down while at full heavy load operation

Thermostat function for some reason escapes even smart car guys.
It may help if you envision your rig parked next to a nice big swimming pool full of cold near freezing water. The lower hose on the water pump is pulling water into the motor, the upper dumping it back into the pool.

With a thermostat installed, it will hold water in the engine block until it gets hot enough to open the thermostat and let water flow out into the pool. Since the pool has a huge capacity, it will not overheat.

The pool is replacing the radiator and the high side of the engine temps is controlled by the efficiency and effectiveness of the radiator. The low side is controlled by the thermostat to hold coolant in the block until it gets hot enough to move the thermostat and let flow go into the cooling system.

Make any more sense now?

Thermostat function for some reason escapes even smart car guys.
It may help if you envision your rig parked next to a nice big swimming pool full of cold near freezing water. The lower hose on the water pump is pulling water into the motor, the upper dumping it back into the pool.

With a thermostat installed, it will hold water in the engine block until it gets hot enough to open the thermostat and let water flow out into the pool. Since the pool has a huge capacity, it will not overheat.

The pool is replacing the radiator and the high side of the engine temps is controlled by the efficiency and effectiveness of the radiator. The low side is controlled by the thermostat to hold coolant in the block until it gets hot enough to move the thermostat and let flow go into the cooling system.

Make any more sense now?

Yes all that makes sense. I think my brain got tricked when i go to rockauto to see the different options and i see 180,160,195 and it dawned on me that that must help keep the temps down. Thanks everyone for dummying it down 😆

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Yes all that makes sense. I think my brain got tricked when i go to rockauto to see the different options and i see 180,160,195 and it dawned on me that that must help keep the temps down. Thanks everyone for dummying it down 😆
Additionally, thermostats that fit our TJs are also used in a lot of cars that can run lower temperature thermostats without problem so they are available in many temperatures. I ran 165 and 180 degree thermostats in my older cars and would have never even considered running a 195 degree in them. But computerized smog-equipment laden cars and our TJs now run more efficiently at higher temperatures and running lower temperature thermostats generally just cause problems.

Don't feel bad. I know lots of smart guys who can't figure it out either. I know a few smart guys who know how it works and still insist that it is possible to fix an overheating vehicle with a lower temp thermostat. That makes them very stupid.