Minnesota Seat Back Organizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrcotner

Supporting Member
Price
$40
I recently posted some photos of seat back organizers I made in the "What You Did To Your Jeep" section, and since there was some interest, I decided to offer some for sale. They are made of #8 cotton duck, which is a little over 18 ounces per yard, and are vat dyed OD (olive drab) #7 green. This is the traditional fabric used by the U.S. government for items such as duffel bags prior to the change to nylon. For comparison, Levi 501's are 12.5 ounces per yard, so this is heavy duty stuff. I stitch them with heavy duty V-92 UV stable nylon olive drab thread. This is the same fabric and thread I used to make a top for my '46 CJ2a.

Here's the passenger side organizer:

101_1928.JPG

And here's the driver's side unit:
101_1935.JPG

The white marks are tailors chalk which wipes off after a while. If you don't want the "D" rings on the drivers side organizer let me know and I'll sew on another pocket. I identified them as drivers side or passenger side since that is where they are on my Jeep. Which side you put them is up to you, or for that matter you can have two of one or the other. Just let me know which model you want so I know what to make. I'll make each one as they are ordered, and if you'd like a different thread just let me know. Brown and tan look good against this canvas. At the moment I'm only offering this color canvas and binding tape, but if there is interest in another color or if I get something else I'll post it here.

If for some reason hardware or something else gets bogged down in the supply chain I'll let you know. I use a number of suppliers for making dog harnesses and this hasn't been a problem yet, but things happen. If I have to make a significant substitution I'll let you know.

They are $40 each postage paid CONUS. If your are OCONUS let me know and I'll figure out shipping and get back to you. All payments will be via PayPal. Send payment when you receive the package and are happy with the organizer. If you don't like it let me know and just send it back. I'll look things over pretty closely before they go out, but if you find a problem let me know.

I'm not a professional seamster, and do everything free hand, including the binding tape, so every stitch will not be perfect. But it will be a solid piece of kit and should last a long time. If a stitch ever comes loose or something else fails, please get in touch with me and I'll fix it.

If you'd like to make an order or have questions, contact me at [email protected]. When making an order please include your name, address and whether you'd like a passenger side or driver's side organizer. If you have questions or would like a specific color or thread just ask and maybe we can work something out.

***Item Update*** I made a drivers side organizer for Zorba (thanks, Zorba) with two pockets and like it so much that's going to be my default style for that side. I like it so much I'm going to change my prototype as well. As feared, there are some supply problems arising for canvas, but so far I've been able to find other vendors. My current OD green canvas almost doubled in price so I'll be using another vendor and material. It's still 18 ounce/yard, but not a vintage period-correct material. And it looks darn near the same but with a more reasonable price. I've also got an order in for 16 ounce/yard khaki canvas. I'll make a test piece and if it looks good I'll make it available to the forum.

Just to clarify the ordering process, contact me via PM or at my email address, [email protected]. Let me know if you want a drivers or passenger side, or both, and include your mailing address. I'll send them out and if you like them pay $40 each or $80 for two (I pay postage) to me via paypal at [email protected]. If you don't like them just return the items to me.
101_1939.JPG

@jrcotner I’d love a set but I’ve got the Bartact seat covers with the Molle webbing. Would you consider making something either for the rear bench or the front seats that attached via Molle?

Reactions: MichaelGH
@jrcotner I’d love a set but I’ve got the Bartact seat covers with the Molle webbing. Would you consider making something either for the rear bench or the front seats that attached via Molle?
I doubt it. It would be awfully tough to make them without access to the seat for measurements and molle positioning. It took days to make the patterns for the production TJ organizers, and I have my own seats for measurement and reference. And I don't like to send out something I'm not happy with. I'm pretty fussy and I have my wife do QC before they go out the door. She's been sewing for 50 years and was a costume designer, so she has a good eye for trouble.

I doubt it. It would be awfully tough to make them without access to the seat for measurements and molle positioning. It took days to make the patterns for the production TJ organizers, and I have my own seats for measurement and reference. And I don't like to send out something I'm not happy with. I'm pretty fussy and I have my wife do QC before they go out the door. She's been sewing for 50 years and was a costume designer, so she has a good eye for trouble.
Does she still do costume work? I'm in need of a costumer. My sewing chops aren't good enough for the more complex stuff.

Got mine last night, can’t believe how beautiful they are and how well-made. I’ll spare the pictures but I got the kind with two pockets instead of the D rings and the pockets actually have extra snaps so when they’re full of junk the cover will still latch on them. Extremely well thought out. And they fit so well I didn’t even have to make an adjustment to the straps they just went right on!

Received mine while I was off on vacation. Opened them today and they are very high quality. Very pleased. No idea what I'll put in them but they are bad a$$ for sure! Thanks

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
Received mine while I was off on vacation. Opened them today and they are very high quality. Very pleased. No idea what I'll put in them but they are bad a$$ for sure! Thanks
Glad you like them. I'm doing a set in khaki for a Volvo (I'm not getting into Volvo seat organizers, just a favor for a friend) and they look pretty nice. I'll post photos when they are ready and make them an option.

Reactions: Zorba
Here's the seat back organizer in khaki. Disregard the shape and pocket configuration, it is for a Volvo. If you'd like one in khaki just specify the color when ordering. Shape and pocket configurations will be the same as previously described. This one has tan binding tape which I do not like but it was specified. And this one also has brown synthetic webbing which I'm not thrilled with but will have to do until I can find something in cotton. Both the olive drab and khaki will have the olive binding tape, which really looks good against the khaki. The olive drab organizers will continue to use green webbing, since I just bought 500 yards. If you want brown webbing please specify. If you don't specify webbing color you will get green (see comment about 500 yard purchase). Price will be $40 each, two for $80, irrespective of color.
101_1942.JPG

Does it matter on the year of the jeep, I think the seats changed shape somewhere along the way ?

I put a lot of webbing on so they should be able to fit another seat as long as it isn't dramatically larger than an '05 Wrangler seat, which is what I used for the pattern. These are cut for a good fit to that seat, so they won't look as nice on something else.

Plumber1 asked if the seat back organizers would fit other Jeep seats, and I don't know the answer. However, they measure 27 3/4" tall, 19" wide at the base and 15" wide at the headrest. If your seats are something like these measurements they should fit.
101_1951.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.