Seatbelt saved my life!

Which foot you use to brake has nothing to do with how well you drive, or how smoothly. Many of the best road racing drivers in the world use left foot braking.

That's a matter of opinion. It's a technique that needs to be mastered. Most left brake enthusiasts would say they have mastered the technique, when you should really be asking the passengers. From my experience with a left braking ambulance driver, he would definitely say he has mastered it. Though 100% of his passengers (and patients) beg him to stop giving them whiplash.

If you're referring to a race driver with no passengers, fine do what you want. If you're talking about doing this on the road with passengers and in traffic, then stop kidding yourself.

Reactions: Thunderhead
That's a matter of opinion. It's a technique that needs to be mastered. Most left brake enthusiasts would say they have mastered the technique, when you should really be asking the passengers. From my experience with a left braking ambulance driver, he would definitely say he has mastered it. Though 100% of his passengers (and patients) beg him to stop giving them whiplash.

If you're referring to a race driver with no passengers, fine do what you want. If you're talking about doing this on the road with passengers and in traffic, then stop kidding yourself.

Heel and toe it. With one foot.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I don't "ride the brake" - in fact, I don't even touch the brake pedal enough to activate the brake lights. You, or anyone else behind me, would have NO idea that my left foot is on the brake pedal - unless you're tailgating me, in which case I activate the brake pedal enough to turn on the brake lights while at the same time accelerating/maintaining my speed...

I’m still curious on how you keep your left foot on the brake in a manual without stalling?

I’m still curious on how you keep your left foot on the brake in a manual without stalling?

On 3-Pedal vehicles I easily switch back to right foot braking...MOST of the time, that is. I raced karts for a few years; between that and switching back & forth between automatic and manual shift vehicles, I seem to have NO problem...

Now right hand drive 3-Pedal cars - THAT's tricky! My friend has a '61 XKE that's RHD and a RHD Mini-Cooper as well; takes me a while to acclimate to driving those...

Like when you’re stopped, you mean? You just shift into neutral… am I misunderstanding the question?

Just in my head , left foot covering the brake, need to stop fast and you left foot brake till …….. you stop or stall it out.
Driving 10 and 14 speed trucks, if you stall out you loose all control of 80,000 lbs

Just in my head , left foot covering the brake, need to stop fast and you left foot brake till …….. you stop or stall it out.
Driving 10 and 14 speed trucks, if you stall out you loose all control of 80,000 lbs

The way I see it, if you really need to stop quick, it’s okay to stall to avoid an accident. It’s probably much easier to loose control of a huge truck than it is of a tj. I don’t have experience though. I’m not at all advocating for left foot breaking btw, just trying to understand it…

So my wife and I were going to dinner a few weeks ago and we were driving our newly purchased TJ. It has a Warn winch on it and I was just thinking the other day that living in AZ, I’d never use that winch . As we pulled up to the highway, we noticed a Jeep Grand Cherokee on its side and a bloody man screaming frantically to help him. Another car pulled over to help and the screaming man started trying to push the car over since his fiancée was trapped under the front tire. I pulled the TJ up to the car and quickly hooked up the winch cable and pulled the car over. Sadly, she had no vitals and was dead. Neither of them were wearing a seatbelt and were ejected from the car at approximately fifty mph. I find it hard to believe some people still don’t wear seatbelts.

The way I see it, if you really need to stop quick, it’s okay to stall to avoid an accident. It’s probably much easier to loose control of a huge truck than it is of a tj. I don’t have experience though. I’m not at all advocating for left foot breaking btw, just trying to understand it…

loose_vs_lose.jpg

looselose.jpg

FWIW I've found some good deals on CL and ebay by misspelling the search words. It was real fun when I was shopping for a used sheet metal brake! I also got a Ford Enhanced 104 pin breakout box on ebay for $25 (a $400-$500 item) by spelling it "enhansed", the seller had had them up for a long time with no bites:). Who says grammar is not important?
20230413_175358.jpg

Spelling is important. Like I always say, the only difference between affluent and effluent is the vowel.

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba