Secondary vehicles

4speedhandler

TJ Enthusiast
as simple as it sounds, who realized that to finish their build they needed a secondary vehicle to be able to take their jeep off the road for a while?
once having this revelation what did you chose to get and why?

Reactions: Chris
Get two. I have an LJ and a TJ. I may have upgraded some previously purchased parts on one Jeep and the takeoffs then go to the other.

I’ve always had the multi vehicle mentality. For me the number 3 works best
1-2007 Ram 2500 (family/ tow)
2-1998 S-10 (work/ run around)
3- My LJ (toy)

Reactions: Cornbread
Jeeps in my family growing up were always play toys, so tow rigs are necessities. Not just to get the jeeps to and from (we do all drive ours on the streets) but so we can get to work the day after wheeling just in case. Plus back in the day there were 3 of us in the back seat of a flatfender plus 2 adults up front doesn’t leave much room for camping gear lol

I need a pickup as well as my TJ so I have a 2015 Tacoma. Built it right up to lifting it. Sliders, full skids, receiver hitches front and rear for a winch I carry in the bed under a cover. My heritage is Jeeps so this works great. The truck, my daily driver also serves as a support vehicle for family summer camping trips where I drive my TJ. Works for me/us. Taco in 2018.jpg

I've always wanted a 92-96 Ford F-150 and found a nice 96 a few years ago that i've been fixing, replacing, upgrading. Today it goes into the paint shop up the road. Gotta have a truck to haul the "crap I really don't need but is cool nonetheless" around.

Reactions: Cheesy
I think the tow rig is a good way to go. My daily is a '16 Silverado, during the summer I split it about 50/50 with the TJ. When I take the fam on wheeling trips farther than an hour or so I way I always pull it on a 16' carhauler. I prefer to do it that way because it's a more comfortable way to get to the trailhead and if something breaks on the TJ I just have to worry about getting it back to the trailer. Or bail entirely, get the family home and deal with it later. My truck is just a V8 gas 1500 but it pulls the TJ just fine. On steep grades I just get in the right lane and let all the diesel bros fly by.

Last edited:
Reactions: J R and jeepins