Security camera for home owners

That’s crazy

It was odd for sure. Small town, less than 2000 people.

2:30am. Avoided all cameras until last seconds, hood up, tried the security door then started to pound.

my dad got hit about 3 minutes later, he’s close and also in LE. So we thought retaliation.

but nothing since. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Apparition
Strongly suggest once you guys install any type of camera, monitor inbound/outbound traffic from router/logs. Day or so ago I noticed excess traffic, after checking security logs (WhoIs IP) I had IP's from allover the place! Could careless people viewing my cams, but the bottle neck it created was a joke.

Reactions: Rick Flair
Strongly suggest once you guys install any type of camera, monitor inbound/outbound traffic from router/logs. Day or so ago I noticed excess traffic, after checking security logs (WhoIs IP) I had IP's from allover the place! Could careless people viewing my cams, but the bottle neck it created was a joke.

Well that's creepy. My camera is in my kids room so I can make sure they're going to sleep and not screwing around.

I have Ring cameras. Picture is good. Not thrilled with the settings. It sends a notification all day. I may just have to get them dialed. I do like the ability to block certain areas so, when traffic goes by, it doesn’t record.
I have a mixture of wired and wireless. A couple with spot lights as well. Rotate batteries to keep them charged.
nothing to compare to because this is the first house with cameras.

I have Ring cameras. Picture is good. Not thrilled with the settings. It sends a notification all day. I may just have to get them dialed. I do like the ability to block certain areas so, when traffic goes by, it doesn’t record.
I have a mixture of wired and wireless. A couple with spot lights as well. Rotate batteries to keep them charged.
nothing to compare to because this is the first house with cameras.

I had a ring doorbell cam. I couldn't get the sensitivity low enough to not hit me up every time a car drove by without completely turning off the motion alerts. It might work better now that I'm 150 feet farther from the street but I haven't gotten around to installing it.

My advice - go for wired, Cat6 S/FTP with PoE Switch. And avoid Chinese brands or ring kind of devices.
The don't have good encryptions and a lot of "open ports ". I design/advice CCTV security systems for many
( government ) buildings and we only use systems/brands that has a FIPS140-level 2 certification.
Brands like Panasonic Security , Bosch or Axis etc.

Reactions: DoOver
Never caught anyone breaking in but I did catch my wife driving her car into the garage door, priceless. I like seeing packages get delivered and have an early warning system for when people pull in the driveway. When I am at work and the wife is home with our baby it gives me some peace of mind. I had two instances at my last house where people started to walk up to the front door but (i assume) saw the camera and turned around and walked off. Now that we have moved to a better area nothing like that but I can see whenever anyone is on my property.

As for camera systems I didnt care much for Ring, I got a faulty battery which they replaced but I didnt like being tied into only using their batteries and I didnt like having to pay for storage of recordings. Both complaints were fixed with the Blink XT2 cameras.

As a followup. I added IP filters (Example: South Korea, IP range 59.0.0.0/59.255.255.255) to my FiOS modem, some 90+ IP's (China has the most). Only had one issue with filtering Ukraine IP range 151, Amazon video uses 151.101.197.16 & 151.101.2.217.

Until I decide on what firewall appliance, I just re added second router.

my speed is back !

Mbps download
Mbps upload

Soon as put together my spreadsheet I'll post it.

Last edited: