Arizona Sedona, March 18-22

Claytone

Straight talk No jive
Supporting Member
Hey AZ folks!
I'll be down in Sedona March 18-22 if anyone wants to meet up. We will have my LJ and my sister will be there with her JL Rubi.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
I will be down in Bisbee with the family that week. Damn, would have been there!

Thanks for the bump and tags @Jamison C
We have the AZ trail book plus some FS maps, and have wheeled the area once before. That time it was just me and my family. I did Broken Arrow, Soldier Pass, Outlaw, and Cliffhanger.
We're thinking of doing a couple trails during the week.
So far, we're planning on Broken Arrow one afternoon/evening as a sunset trail. I've done it but my sister had some trouble on it with her previous JL Sahara and wants to give it a go with the new Rubi.

There's some interesting looking trails in the book:
Red Rock powerline
House Mountain
Diamondback
Smiley Rock

Is there anything that is short and fairly interesting and has some hiking tied in? We have 4 kids between the 2 families and they enjoy exploring.

Last edited:
We have the AZ trail book plus some FS maps, and have wheeled the area once before. That time it was just me and my family. I did Broken Arrow, Soldier Pass, Outlaw, and Cliffhanger.
So far, we're planning on Broken Arrow one afternoon/evening as a sunset trail. I've done it but my sister had some trouble on it with her previous JL Sahara and wants to give it a go with the new Rubi.

Red Rock powerline
House Mountain
Diamondback
Smiley Rock

Is there anything that is short and fairly interesting and has some hiking tied in? We have 4 kids between the 2 families and they enjoy exploring.

Diamondback and Outlaw are both about the same distance and one (can't recall which) has native american ruins a short hike from the end that are pretty cool. Did a variation of House Mountain with Jamison and a couple others last spring and it's a fun trail. Can't speak for the others; I'll defer to Jamison, the local, on better details.

Reactions: Claytone
Outlaw has the Honanki ruins, it was cool to see those. There's also the Palatki site near there with a guided tour of some artifacts and petroglyphs.
The trail was so-so, lots of side by sides doing the high speed dust storm thing.

I was just looking over the thread from 2022, looks like you all had a good time.

Reactions: DaveC

Red Rock powerline
House Mountain
Diamondback
Smiley Rock

Broken Arrow is always fun one but definitely better in the evening when all of the traffic has died down on the trail. Time it right and you can get some killer shots there too. Outlaw and Diamondback are both fun, but relatively short. Outlaw had the ruins at the end I believe.

Powerline (which leads to Casner) is a fun little trail, but nothing technical. It takes you to Robber's Roost which is a short hike but the kids would probably love. It's a half cave with an opening that looks out over the valley. As NK said, Casner is permit only. I have done that one and it is absolutely kickass, but there is a reason it's permitted as there are spots where you can barely get one vehicle through.

Smiley Rock is rough, I wouldn't recommend it. IMO its just bumpy and gets old very quickly. That one is like 33s absolute bare minimum to give you an idea. Schnebly was the same way last time I was up but its been awhile. With all of the moisture we've had the last few months most of the trails are just bedrock now.

House mountain is one of my favorites with awesome 360 views. I would highly recommend and it's definitely a lengthy trip.

There's another power line trail outside of Sedona that I took the crew on that's relatively close to House Mtn. Not super technical, but scenic and lots of ups and downs.

Have you considered any of the forest roads above Oak Creek Canyon towards Flag? There's one right at the top that connects to the Casner trail, and also takes you to a fire lookout tower. I can't remember the specifics but I really enjoyed it when we went.

Hope this helps.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Claytone and RINC
I lived in Cottonwood, (Smasher Canyon nearby) before we moved over the mountain. It's called Smasher Canyon for a reason, I don't think an LJ on 33s would be happy in there. Copper Canyon FS136 from Camp Verde up to Exit 278 on the 17 is a nice run, lots of creek crossings nothing to cause body damage. Haven't been on it since last summer so don't have the latest conditions.

Starting point: https://maps.app.goo.gl/xBjdB47TjaqRM3LU8

Ending point: https://maps.app.goo.gl/U9D3D39DtzxHKKsv7

A nice loop is to come back down into the Verde Valley through Cherry, not a trail but great views. Start here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/bZZdv8iCBp8PUMr77

There's an interesting mesa top wall ruin nearby here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/fEwNVigJbSUv6bXS6

A very cool multi-room ruin on top of a little mesa with lots of pottery sherds here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/qBFsgH4FvnZZxTDV6

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC and Claytone
Have you considered any of the forest roads above Oak Creek Canyon towards Flag? There's one right at the top that connects to the Casner trail, and also takes you to a fire lookout tower. I can't remember the specifics but I really enjoyed it when we went.

There are two spots up there that have amazing views that are accessed by graded forest roads.
  • East Pocket has a large fire lookout tower and a trail you can hike all the way down to Oak Creek
  • Sycamore Point has an incredible view of a canyon. Sycamore Falls is somewhat nearby and is a real treat if the water is flowing. I've been three times but haven't seen water flowing yet.