Seeking advice on next step to fix speedometer

Update on Progress. Finally got the OBD reader in that will actually give me the speed. It's showing dead-on with the GPS speed. So it must be a speedometer issue. I'll work toward getting the cluster removed and checking for the obvious. Thanks again for all the help!

Reactions: Zorba and pagrey
I forget the details but think when the new speedo gear goes in there is some possible rotation needed to be right. Perhaps others can elaborate, I think I had to adjust mine but to long ago to recall the details.

what's your mileage? im in Elgin, I've got an extra cluster I've been meaning to throw on ebay.

I pulled the cluster last night (and killed a spider that crawled out). Cleaned up everything and put dielectric grease on the connections. Test drove and same issue. I did the cluster test and noticed the values are high, so I'm really thinking this is a speedometer issue.

Attachments

• VID_20220330_181449883.mp4
    17.2 MB
I have the same issue but mine is off by 3 mph, unfortunately i don't know a good solution to this.
Just as mentioned previously, I was thinking to take it apart and reclock it manually, but i have not had a chance to mess with it yet.
Then there is a mystery to why this is the way it is, is my 3 mph off is just the beginning to your 9 mph ?

If i start taking apart mine before you report getting a new one, i will let you know.

Reactions: willrek
I have a similar problem. My speedometer is constantly about 3mph off, no matter the speed. My speed according to an app plugged into the OBDII port is dead on with the GPS, but the speedometer is constantly off.

I have a similar problem. My speedometer is constantly about 3mph off, no matter the speed. My speed according to an app plugged into the OBDII port is dead on with the GPS, but the speedometer is constantly off.
I really feel like this is a calibration issue. But I'm not an instrument tech. Would love to be able to recalibrate this thing. There are a couple links earlier in this post to businesses who will service them. I may end up sending it off to see what they can do with it.

There's some small chance you just have bugs or spiderwebs in the cluster screwing it up. You could pull out the cluster and remove the front panel and move the needle around gently blowing it out before you totally replace it or send it out. The test should go 20-55-75 mph if it is working correctly, if you can get it to do that it should be okay. It's worth a try if you can get the cluster out.
Not sure if you saw the results of the cluster test.....29-64-84. Pretty sure this is a speedometer issue. Thanks again for your help!

Not sure if you saw the results of the cluster test.....29-64-84. Pretty sure this is a speedometer issue. Thanks again for your help!
Sure seems like the cluster is the problem. If you are really adventurous you can just rotate the needle on the shaft until you get 20-55-75. You might take the plastic cover off, rotate the speedometer needle to 64, figure out how to grab or hold the speedometer shaft very carefully and rotate the needle back to 55. Run the cluster test and see how you did. People do pull those needles off when they put aftermarket gauge patterns on so it can be done. It might be worth having it serviced but that might be exactly what they do.

I would say 3mph is well within specs. I know when I worked for a dealer the manufacturer spec was 7mph. The police vehicles had a special speedometer labeled “certified calibration” and they were a lot more accurate.

Mine has been off by 15-20 since the lift over a yr. Really need to get around to changing the gear. Doesn't really bother me though.

Well, it's fixed. Not going to recommend the way I fixed it....but it involved removing the needle and replacing it while driving at a known speed. Really appreciate all the help and suggestions from forum members! Oh, and just in case anyone is as "adventurous" as I am, there is not way to remove the needle while holding the stem. The stem is recessed and once the needle is removed, it will rotate to wherever it wants, necessitating having to drive at a known speed before replacing.

Well, it's fixed. Not going to recommend the way I fixed it....but it involved removing the needle and replacing it while driving at a known speed. Really appreciate all the help and suggestions from forum members! Oh, and just in case anyone is as "adventurous" as I am, there is not way to remove the needle while holding the stem. The stem is recessed and once the needle is removed, it will rotate to wherever it wants, necessitating having to drive at a known speed before replacing.
did you get video? That must have been fun!