Seeking nuclear options for woodchuck termination

matkal

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Got a ‘chuck or three digging under the slab of my barn/garage. Over the years I’ve tried gofer bombs, snares and live traps. As the title states, I’m looking for nuclear options, I don’t have to worry about pets, children or nosey neighbors. Whaddaya got?

Call this guy!

bill murray GIF

I have always had amazing luck with conibear traps with woodchucks. Once they stick their head through they dont get a second chance to learn to avoid it next time they see it like they do with havahart traps.

got this sucker last year after it kept insisting on spreading dirt from under the pine into the grass. usually when there is one, theres a few more.
IMG_4799.JPG.JPG

The only downside is that theres always the possibility of catching a skunk... which yes I have accidentally got skunks before. im sure out by you, any good hardware should have them in stock. think duke brand and conibear brand are basically exactly the same. cant remember the number series size though but its roughly a 7x7" square. trick is to not get your hand caught in it when setting it, though there is a tool made for setting them if you cant squeeze the springs with your hands.. should be a simple fab at work to make one though.

Last edited:
Reactions: matkal
I have always had amazing luck with conibear traps with woodchucks. Once they stick their head through they dont get a second chance to learn to avoid it next time they see it like they do with havahart traps.

got this sucker last year after it kept insisting on spreading dirt from under the pine into the grass. usually when there is one, theres a few more.
View attachment 511377

The only downside is that theres always the possibility of catching a skunk... which yes I have accidentally got skunks before. im sure out by you, any good hardware should have them in stock. think duke brand and conibear brand are basically exactly the same. cant remember the number series size though but its roughly a 7x7" square. trick is to not get your hand caught in it when setting it, though there is a tool made for setting them if you cant squeeze the springs with your hands.. should be a simple fab at work to make one though.

Yeah, I got to get a couple of those

Pepsi and fly bait, they won’t make it a few feet from the pan but neither will anything else. That’s your nuclear option. Find a recipe via internet search.

Reactions: Shank and matkal
Go to the local hardware store and get a couple of boxes of moth balls. Be sure to get the moth balls made from paradichlorobenzene, not naptha or some other environmentally friendly cr*p. You are on a mission to kill, not make friends. Just throw the moth balls under and around the slab. Animals will seek greener pastures. I used these on skunks and they were gone in one day!

Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Enoz-Clothes-Carpet-Beetles-Clinging/dp/B07RRTLSXT/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: matkal and RangerTJ
Well I never got a chance to use any of the nuclear options, fly bait or Conibare(sp?). I had half assed set a twisted up snare for shits and giggles. Pulling up to the barn this morning I noticed that the excavation pile was more than double the size…… MFr!!!! Then I noticed the snare was tight …. success! He had dug out more sand trying to get out of the trap. Adios MFr!

IMG_0480.jpeg