Seeking nuclear options for woodchuck termination

Conibear for the win!
IMG_0500.jpeg

Years ago I went to war with generational groundhog infestation & their network of condominiums under my shed and deck at two opposite ends of my property. Ultimately, gas bombs with a 45 pound weight disk & blanket to trap in the goodness with a plugged up escape route on the other end worked for termination, followed by back-filling with rocks and concrete.

A far more protracted war took place to rid my porch of squirrels, I'd talk about it but then I'd need to start drinking hard alcohol again reliving that nightmare.

Times have changed, the last few years I've been battling new enemies, to wit, carpenter bees and small birds nesting everywhere. I think I've got the upper hand with physical barriers preventing the birds from nesting in their favorite spots and a series of strategically placed homemade carpenter bee traps takes care of those little fuckers, highly effective.

Following several other failed methods, turns out the easiest anti-bird nest device is simply filling up the space, those little fuckers will build nests on top of the spikes and other poorly designed anti-bird contraptions. A 4x4 plugs up the gap perfectly

Fucking birds.jpg

Fucking birds 2.jpg

Reactions: matkal
A very effective method of controlling birds is, believe it or not, fishing line! They fly into it, freak out and fly away. And, because it is nearly invisible, it doesn't create an eyesore. My last ship, we were doing littoral surveys (close to the coastline) and the seagulls were all over us. Not only are they noisy and obnoxious, but they poop on everything. We strung fishing line all over the fantail and around the bridge. They were all gone in about three days.
The only thing I've ever found for the bees is that stuff in the spray can that lets you fire on them from 20' away. I know they are part of nature, but let them be part of someone else's nature.

• Love
Reactions: matkal and srimes
The only thing I've ever found for the bees is that stuff in the spray can that lets you fire on them from 20' away. I know they are part of nature, but let them be part of someone else's nature.

the bee situation depends on the season, right now the carpenter bees are in full swing and I have a two-pronged approach. The traps hang year round and they deal a massive blow to the population as they're on duty 24/7. To supplement that (and for pure entertainment) I use a butterfly net to scoop them out of the air, then squish them on the ground. When it's peak season for them I can scoop 10 or more in a single session if I'm motivated.

Right around the first of July the cicada killers come crawling out of their little hell holes all over the neighborhood & try to establish new nests. For them my primary approach is the butterfly net to catch and kill the interlopers before they can dig new nests. My secondary approach is the high powered can of death juice to pick them off from a distance. The tertiary approach comes only after the little fuckers have breached the first two and have managed to dig a new hole, always done overnight; for those I sprinkle Seven Powder all over the mound & in the hole to poison anything coming or going, and I also monitor the newly formed mound around dusk when they come in for a landing for the evening and scoop up what I can with the net. It's actually pretty cool in a Wild Kingdom sort of way to see one of them bringing in a fresh cicada to stuff into the hole, they look like miniature heavy-lift helicopters carrying cargo.

With this multi-pronged approach I've managed the newly formed nests down to one or two per year, sometimes none; left to their own devices I'd have 57 of the damn nests & countless killers flying all over the place. They say those things are harmless & I've found that to be true, but they are an intimidating nuisance when they're hovering all over the place.

Reactions: Dr. Internet
Ya know, if these pesky MFs would leave us(our buildings) alone we could coexist with them but nooooooo they have to invade the sanctity of our homes and out buildings. DIE MOTHERFUCKERS!!!🤣

• Haha
Reactions: sab

conibear for the win (y).

They also make wall/post/log mount brackets for conibears too.. incase you run into an issue requiring it one day.
back when I had chickens, opossums would break into the coop at night and decapitate the chicken then leave without eating any of it. they wouldn't go into live traps and there wasn't a consistent hole to place the conibear trap.
screwed a wall mount bracket to a barn support post and nailed a piece of fish meat above the trap, opossums then started climbing the beam putting their head through the trap and id find them hanging in the morning. the decapitated chicken issue then stopped :ROFLMAO:

example of a bracket in use
Image.jpeg

Reactions: matkal
conibear for the win (y).

They also make wall/post/log mount brackets for conibears too.. incase you run into an issue requiring it one day.
back when I had chickens, opossums would break into the coop at night and decapitate the chicken then leave without eating any of it. they wouldn't go into live traps and there wasn't a consistent hole to place the conibear trap.
screwed a wall mount bracket to a barn support post and nailed a piece of fish meat above the trap, opossums then started climbing the beam putting their head through the trap and id find them hanging in the morning. the decapitated chicken issue then stopped :ROFLMAO:

example of a bracket in use
View attachment 514209

I was wondering what that was for, one came with the trap.